New Hampshire!!

frow.gif

Does any one know if there are any "chicken keeping workshops" here in NH? Chickens 101. I am new to keeping chickens (only 4 weeks now) and want to learn all I can. I found one in MA but was wondering if there were any closer to home. The one in MA is www.hencam.com/events. Lots of info here and she gives lectures and workshops. But all in Massachusetts.

I've been to a Blue Seal Poultry seminar but I think those are in the spring. UNH has extension classes. You can see if the Yellow House Farm has any classes but again I think they are mostly held in the March - May time frame. There are seminars but I think this may be a bit late in the season. You could check out the New Hampshire Poultry Fanciers and the Deerfield Fair and see if they have any information.

Does any one know if there are any "chicken keeping workshops" here in NH? Chickens 101. I am new to keeping chickens (only 4 weeks now) and want to learn all I can. I found one in MA but was wondering if there were any closer to home. The one in MA is www.hencam.com/events. Lots of info here and she gives lectures and workshops. But all in Massachusetts.
We run them at the local libraries (Amherst/Mont Vernon) in the Spring. We may do some workshops in the Fall. Drop me an email at [email protected] and I can put you on our mailing list.

Quote:
big_smile.png
Ay-yut! It shuah is! Ry't on the cawnah of th'stay'yt...'cross th'rivah from Bahnet, Ve'mont dontch'no.
cool.png

Pleez'd ta make ur quaint'ns.
woot.gif

Pleez'd ta make yer quaintins too theyuh Ya know. I grew up close ta vuhmawnt too...never cared fer it much. Too minny dang weerdos and flatlunduhs flocked inta that state. Buhsoides...how kin ya trust a state what has mowah caows then peeple, eh? I do miss livin' up nawth but I knew minny yeeuhs ago that my girls would have a bettah chance at loife iff'n I grew them up down heeyah....so..I moved to Loudin darn neeyah 30 yeeahs ago, doncha know. It paid off fer them real good, ya know. thay ah very well edgycated and buth uv 'em have good jobs now. I spend my days tendin' my wive's chickins.....tendin' the gahden...and enjoyin' my early retiuhmint. I wood post some pichuhs of thuh chickins and such but I don't know how ta do such stuff...I'm not too awful broight heehah doncha know.
old.gif

Live in Pembroke now, but originally from up nawth too. Canaan VT. Most of my extended family is in N. Stratford and Colebrook now though.
smile.png

The Blue Seal store in bow (or it might be concord) does have a store front at the bottom of the building with the huge silo's in it and they have had the best price so far on feed, when i started with my chickens i bought the chickens and feed all at tractor supply, specifically the Dumor brand feed and through the grape vine (chicken swap) i learned that the brand had a sodium issue and was causing problems so i found that my local ace hardware here in beautiful Goffstown sold the blue seal feed so i switched, then one day i decided to see if the blue seal factoy i referenced earlier had a store and as i said they did and you can get the feed from them cheaper than tractor supply and ace with the benefit that its made onsite! when i switched the feed brands i mixed the dumor i had left with the new blue seal and all was well

I also buy all my animal feed from blue seal(chickens turkeys Soon the broilers also our rabbit I might switch our dogs to their feed also) we have a store right here in my town. Do you know if the store directly at the mill in bow is any less expensive than the blue seal feed stores in the surrounding towns?

I just bought a 50lb bag of broiler crumbles medicated from blue seal in town for $17.19. I may have to call the bow location and see if the price is different on there site.

Last edited:
the blue seal in concord is only about 20-25 min away from me so i haven't been to any other places to check but definetly call them, i assume since they don't have to truck it any where it will be a little cheaper

i too am new to both chickens and this site as a member, i have read here plenty of times before but never joined til today. Im in Goffstown and this is the first year i have had chickens. I did a ton of research before i built my first coop but i am told i did really well by chicken people and my chickens seem happy. i have 12 rhode island reds for eggs, 1 japanese bantam black/white just because my wife likes him, and soon to be raising a flock of meat chickens which is why im building a chicken tractor now. I always wanted chickens but my wife didn't, but she gave in when she saw their "cute little squeeking bodies" and i got the 12 on my birthday. now they are "her" chickens because she has claimed them and she wanted the rooster, boy how her outlook has changed.... I didn't want the chickens to be a huge chore and for us to get sick of them sort of speak so i designed the coop for efficiency and also build it reuseing alot of materials, it has a 35lb feeder i made for less than $10, a 5 gallon capacity waterer useing chicken watering nipples which will be heated by a bird bath heater in winter and they love it, and i made the floor of the coop a huge litter pan that slides out the side of the coop (4'X8' coop). i can literally not go to the coop for more than a week and they still have plenty of food and water and the floor isn't really messy at all, i built in alot of ventilation so it will stay dry. its wired for electricity for winter lighting, the auto coop door, the water heater, and the ip camera. the camera is nice because we can see the inside of the coop on our cell phones/computer like a nanny cam and make sure all 13 got inside before the door closed (it has night vision) and i can check the food level and the temperature from the big thermometer i put inside the coop. and attached is a 12'x12' dog kennel with ground and sky protection from predators. i like the coop and the chickens are soo easy now, i know when they start laying in a month or two i will have to go out and collect eggs but thats rewarding and i think it will be fun anyway. im glad to see soooooo many people are raising chickens!

Back
Top Bottom