New Hampshire!

Quote:
I have a BCM boy (and 2 pullets) from the same dark eggs and a Splash boy (and 2 pullets) from different eggs that had good color - Not as dark as the BCM of course but really nice. I have another 3 BCM pullets that have not laid yet but should soon but I got them as chicks so not sure what to expect. I'm going to mate the trio of BCMs by themselves at first once I can separate everyone as they are still in just 2 coops - male and female. They will be the first I hatch for viability along with the White Cream Legbars. I'm not sure how I want to set up my pens.... still deciding what I want to do. I can't make up my mind if I want to do 2 pens for a BCM and a Splash pen or if I want to do a single Blue and Splash pen. I'd need one more coop to keep the BCM and Blue Copper/Splash separately. I'm thinking I'm going to see what they lay before I make any firm decisions. The Black Coppers are my favorite but like the Splash also.... I keep flipping from one idea to another, but did process 4 boys today - 1 Splash Marans and 3 Cream Legbars.

I have a BCM boy (and 2 pullets) from the same dark eggs and a Splash boy (and 2 pullets) from different eggs that had good color - Not as dark as the BCM of course but really nice. I have another 3 BCM pullets that have not laid yet but should soon but I got them as chicks so not sure what to expect. I'm going to mate the trio of BCMs by themselves at first once I can separate everyone as they are still in just 2 coops - male and female. They will be the first I hatch for viability along with the White Cream Legbars. I'm not sure how I want to set up my pens.... still deciding what I want to do. I can't make up my mind if I want to do 2 pens for a BCM and a Splash pen or if I want to do a single Blue and Splash pen. I'd need one more coop to keep the BCM and Blue Copper/Splash separately. I'm thinking I'm going to see what they lay before I make any firm decisions. The Black Coppers are my favorite but like the Splash also.... I keep flipping from one idea to another, but did process 4 boys today - 1 Splash Marans and 3 Cream Legbars.

What was the weight on your boys after process?

Quote:
I have to check ages but the youngest was a Legbar - 2.5 lbs then 2 more CL at 3 and 3.5 then the Marans at 4 lbs. Just glad it's done. I skinned 2 and left in on for 2. Giblets weigh in at about 1lb. Off the the freezer. Did not take too long about 1.5 hours. I got a new killing cone from ebay today so had to try it out.
Down to just 4 cream colored Cream Legbars and 1 White Sport Legbar and a Splash and Black Copper Marans. That'll be it till this spring.
Going to rehome the barnevelders and jubilee girls this spring also - maybe a trade for some ducks or geese???? not sure.

I have to check ages but the youngest was a Legbar - 2.5 lbs then 2 more CL at 3 and 3.5 then the Marans at 4 lbs. Just glad it's done. I skinned 2 and left in on for 2. Giblets weigh in at about 1lb. Off the the freezer. Did not take too long about 1.5 hours. I got a new killing cone from ebay today so had to try it out.
Down to just 4 cream colored Cream Legbars and 1 White Sport Legbar and a Splash and Black Copper Marans. That'll be it till this spring.
Going to rehome the barnevelders and jubilee girls this spring also - maybe a trade for some ducks or geese???? not sure.
are you willing to rehome them legbars??

I have to check ages but the youngest was a Legbar - 2.5 lbs then 2 more CL at 3 and 3.5 then the Marans at 4 lbs. Just glad it's done. I skinned 2 and left in on for 2. Giblets weigh in at about 1lb.  Off the the freezer. Did not take too long about 1.5 hours. I got a new killing cone from ebay today so had to try it out.
Down to just 4 cream colored Cream Legbars and 1 White Sport Legbar and a Splash and Black Copper Marans.  That'll be it till this spring.
depending on your location, I'd take a barnvelder off your hands this spring. I might even have a a Welsh harlequin to trade.

Quote:
No Legbars to let go as yet. The 4 Legbar males are my breeding group for this year. They are all double cream. The 3 I culled today were also cream but not needed and I just had to down size from 11 roosters. I have 18 cream colored Cream Legbar girls I want to play around with and breed forward for next year. I have an additional 4 gold toned legbar girls I am keeping for a layer flock and a trio of White Sports that I want to see if the eggs are viable since there is discussion that they may not be able to breed successfully. I am looking to try a few different pen set ups and pairings this year. I plan on downsizing this fall to just the 'cream' of the crop for next year.

Quote:
I know nothing about ducks so will have to look into these Welsh Harlequin. I'd like something I can eat if it turns out I or my husband don't care for them. I like Muscovies but have been told they are not really pond birds and I want something that will use the pond we in the back.
I wish it would warm up enough for me to open up some of the pens.....

~~Greetings! For any in the mood for some chicken talk, Rochester Blue Seal is hosting a chicken soiree this Thursday evening starting at 6:30. NHPFA Secretary Joseph Marquette will be speaking about Exhibition Poultry in NH, and Jason Harris, BS regional manager, will be presenting on chicken health. After presentations, there will be a period for Q & A's and other chicken chat. The event is being held at the VFW. There's a bar and give-aways. For more info call Blue Seal @ 603-332-4122 . https://www.facebook.com/rochester.blueseal/about

Back
Top Bottom