New Hampshire!

Piglett, is that this bucket heater?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QXN1EQ/ref=ox_ya_os_product

I ordered it, but some of the reviews seem to imply that it doesn't turn on an off with the temperature properly. Any problems?

Anyone know a good source for buckets around Nashua/Amherst/Milford area?

that is the exact one i have only 250 watts
you can it being on all of the time by buying a product called
"thermocube"
it turns the power to the heater on & off according to the air temp in your coop.

for buckets try a pizza/sub shop

I like this idea of the 5 gallon bucket with the heater within ........ but do the nipples underneath the bucket freeze?

unless it gets below zero the bucket heater will keep the water free of ice including the nipples
when it's down to -10f we bring the flock water at the start of the day
by 10am the bucket heater has done it's job & the water is no longer frozen

I don't know if this will be considered flaming but I need to vent and I'm mentioning no names.
I sold about 20 cream colored Cream Legbar pullets to an acquaintance here in NH... an ex-acquaintance at this point. He has listed his Legbar lines on his website and not a mention that any (if not most) of these are my F2 birds he simply states that he worked so hard to get them past some of the flaws he mentions in his description...I'm no great big breeder (only spent the last 2 years breeding these to the cream standard) but I hope that I'd be more ethical in my own poultry practices and give credit to anyone who improved or worked on any birds I purchased and resold. When I tossed him an email he said he could give me a detailed explanation. When I tossed out a few more examples that I know of when he bought birds from other folks and claimed them as something else he decided that an explanation was no longer in order.... I so don't care either way as I would not believe anything he said, just really upset I trusted him to be ethical. Just needed to vent as it is so disappointing how dishonest some folks are... and we are talking just chickens right? I kept the best birds for myself thank goodness and I have good roosters but I won't be doing business with him again. HIs prices are astronomically high so I'll take that as a back-handed compliment.

I have Splash and Black Copper Marans growing out right now- sorry rellikmalinois none old enough to sell or at POL. I really would like to keep a Splash rooster and breed the Splash girls (I only have 2 - hawk got the third). But I really like the Black Copper but not so happy with my choice of roosters but have one that may be 'okay for now'. What would be the best thing to do? Should I toss the BCM boys since none is really up to snuff and breed the Splash next spring for Splash and Blues and try to find a better Black Copper boy - I could enlarge my Splash flock also by doing that and sell of any extra but is there a market for them here locally? The egg color on the Splash was pretty nice and the Blacks are from Wynette and Fancy Chicks. I think I have 4 - 5 Black Copper girls in there so 7 girls total. I have 3 splash boys to choose from and 3 Black Copper boys also. What to do?

Last edited:
I don't know if this will be considered flaming but I need to vent and I'm mentioning no names.
I sold about 20 cream colored Cream Legbar pullets to an acquaintance here in NH... an ex-acquaintance at this point. He has listed his Legbar lines on his website and not a mention that any (if not most) of these are my F2 birds he simply states that he worked so hard to get them past some of the flaws he mentions in his description...I'm no great big breeder (only spent the last 2 years breeding these to the cream standard) but I hope that I'd be more ethical in my own poultry practices and give credit to anyone who improved or worked on any birds I purchased and resold. When I tossed him an email he said he could give me a detailed explanation. When I tossed out a few more examples that I know of when he bought birds from other folks and claimed them as something else he decided that an explanation was no longer in order.... I so don't care either way as I would not believe anything he said, just really upset I trusted him to be ethical. Just needed to vent as it is so disappointing how dishonest some folks are... and we are talking just chickens right? I kept the best birds for myself thank goodness and I have good roosters but I won't be doing business with him again. HIs prices are astronomically high so I'll take that as a back-handed compliment.

I have Splash and Black Copper Marans growing out right now- sorry rellikmalinois none old enough to sell or at POL. I really would like to keep a Splash rooster and breed the Splash girls (I only have 2 - hawk got the third). But I really like the Black Copper but not so happy with my choice of roosters but have one that may be 'okay for now'. What would be the best thing to do? Should I toss the BCM boys since none is really up to snuff and breed the Splash next spring for Splash and Blues and try to find a better Black Copper boy - I could enlarge my Splash flock also by doing that and sell of any extra but is there a market for them here locally? The egg color on the Splash was pretty nice and the Blacks are from Wynette and Fancy Chicks. I think I have 4 - 5 Black Copper girls in there so 7 girls total. I have 3 splash boys to choose from and 3 Black Copper boys also. What to do?
Id be interested in acquiring some of your Marans next spring. I have black and blue and would like 2-3 more. I wish I knew you were looking for a Black Copper Roo. I hade a nice one I just rehomed about 2 weeks ago. He wasn't perfect but would have been a good starting point. On the Marans color chart what number were the eggs your Marans hatched from?

I also saw his ads on Craigslist and was wondering if there was going to be mention of you since you did send him many pullets. My thought was maybe he wasn't mentioning yours yet since he just acquired them and maybe they would be advertised next spring. Sorry that sale didn't go well. I can understand your frustration when all your hard work isn't getting credit. And your right his prices are outrageous.

Last edited:
Who is heating/ lighting coop? Trying to figure out what we want to do. My current plan is not to heat/light but just do a heated water dish of some kind. Curious what others in the same climate do!

We do exactly what you've said here - heated water dishes but no supplemental heat. Chickens come with their own down coats. Some years I have used supplemental lights to keep the girls laying at a better rate, but this year we're just letting everyone molt naturally and come back into lay whenever they feel like it. :)

Id be interested in acquiring some of your Marans next spring. I have black and blue and would like 2-3 more. I wish I knew you were looking for a Black Copper Roo. I hade a nice one I just rehomed about 2 weeks ago. He wasn't perfect but would have been a good starting point. On the Marans color chart what number were the eggs your Marans hatched from?

I also saw his ads on Craigslist and was wondering if there was going to be mention of you since you did send him many pullets. My thought was maybe he wasn't mentioning yours yet since he just acquired them and maybe they would be advertised next spring. Sorry that sale didn't go well. I can understand your frustration when all your hard work isn't getting credit. And your right his prices are outrageous.

I'll let you know how they turn out. I saw you advertise him but promised the husband I was done with anything incoming until late winter, early spring so it was a no-go plus it has to be NPIP.

I'm only going to heat the water for most of the winter. I won't put lights in until I'm coming close to incubating eggs as I like to give the girls a break. I've only heated my coops in the winter when I had young birds in there. I don't really want to have birds that need too much artificial needs to survive.

He was quite a boy I was going to keep him but hes was quite loud. Here he is before I rehomed him.

And thanks, definitely let me know how your Marans turn out and the color they lay Id really like a few more of different bloodlines. Oh and I am NPIP
smile.png

He was quite a boy I was going to keep him but hes was quite loud. Here he is before I rehomed him.

And thanks, definitely let me know how your Marans turn out and the color they lay Id really like a few more of different bloodlines. Oh and I am NPIP :)

I kept some eggshells from both the splash and the BCMs I hatched mid August.

Hoping they lay something comparable. I'll find out next spring. Will you have eggs for sale or trade then?

Back
Top Bottom