New Hampshire!

my 4 silkies stay in their own corner pen inside the main coop
the buff & lemon orpingtons are so large that i think a hawk would have a tough time to carry one of them off for a snack
I read somewhere that a hawk can lift 12 pounds. I am hoping that I can let the turkeys free range a little without stressing out.

I read somewhere that a hawk can lift 12 pounds. I am hoping that I can let the turkeys free range a little without stressing out.

some of my english orpingtons roosters can reach 15 lbs
even if they go after a hen the roosters will be all over them
i guess that is why i have been hawk free so far

I'm new to silkies this year, one boy and three girls, about eight months old, no eggs yet. They are so very different from "regular" chickens. Spent the summer slowly/carefully integrating them into the rest of the flock (five hens, one banty pullet and one mystery pullet), which went very well. The boy is a riot coming into his own and trying to mount the full size hens. Over the summer (as long as it wasn't raining/wet outside), I did let the silkies free range when I was around and they loved it but didn't stray too far from the coop like the rest of the flock. I've winterized my hoop run with clear thick plastic and it's like a little sunroom in there so only on the coldest days have I noticed the silkies staying in the coop. Instead of sleeping in piles on the floor, they were roosting on the ramp at the pop door which made it difficult to close at night. They wouldn't use the low roost I made them, so I had to build them a sleeping box just off the ramp and they put themselves to bed there. I am a little worried about how they'll do when it really gets cold but I know I can tweak the set up/operation as we go along.

those are some big boys. they must be beautiful

here is a 1/2 grown english orpington rooster
Picture007.jpg

he still has about 10 more months to go before he is full frown

Last edited:
Hi All,

I was wondering if there are other people here on BYC living in Derry NH. I ask because for the past few months the Planning Board in Derry has been meeting and revising the Livestock Ordinance in our town. The one main concern that I have about some of the changes they are proposing to make is a ROOSTER BAN. They are planning to change the ordinance to only allow roosters on 3 or more acres. This posses a problem for me and Im sure for many others that have less than 3 acres and own roosters. I know that I for one have not had any issues with neighbor and have had ZERO noise complaints. And I plan to attend the town meeting once they announce the public hearing date for all the town Residents to attend. If your from Derry and have roosters or even if you are for roosters being allowed on all lots please go to that town meeting and fight for our rights to farm. Roosters are a large part in the poultry world we need them for so many reasons.

Thanks for reading

Back
Top Bottom