New Hampshire!

I'm not actually a New Hampshirite, but I hope you'll take me anyways. I am on the fryeburg/conway border. Anyone else in this area?

A quick introduction: I'm a SAHM with three children. We currently have a flock of 7, but we will be expanding to 16 between now and next fall. My game plan is to hatch some, get some chicks and some already established pullets. I love having various ages (mine now range from 7 months to 20 months) because then you always have eggs coming instead of "none are laying yet" or "they're all molting at the same time" issues.

I sell my eggs as well as surplus vegetables and fruits from my gardens. I try to make a bit of money while staying at home, even if it's only enough to supply my hobbies. I do my best to "homestead" on my half an acre of village land.
welcome. I am also a stay at home. I have chickens,turkeys,and bunnies.

Good Morning New Hampshire, how r u all doing with this storm and the temps and wind?

Hope everyone is ok, and chickens and livestock are doing well!

We got dumped on, here in northern NH. Winds are horrible and temps -1 F this morning. The drifts are very deep while some areas are wind swept and almost bare...so far, chickens r doing well here albeit a one night of -38 F windchills...had to shut up the vents that night. I couldn't believe the 5 girls I have laying , so far, gave me 5 eggs the next morning! What good girls they are! Been feeding them a mush of warm wet pellets in the am, with a few eggs mixed in, shell and all. Warm water too. They seem grateful for it!

Stay safe and warm all!!!
I was rushing around yesterday bringing baby bunnies in to the house. They were doing fine outside but when I heard minus two I panicked and in they came. This is my first winter with turkeys so I am super worried about them. Being a new mother again is tough. they are my big babies lol.

I'm not actually a New Hampshirite, but I hope you'll take me anyways. I am on the fryeburg/conway border. Anyone else in this area?
we are an hour south of you in wolfeboro
we have buff orpingtons & inported english orpingtons along with a pair of bronze turkeys & a dozen muscovy ducks

I am up here in the Orford.... deep in the woods.... Honey.... it as -13 this morning. The roos in the outside yards didn't venture out much today ... hoping their combs don't freeze off. Welcome to all the new comers. :) I have 2 toms and 3 hens... thinking about selling them off... I just have way to much to handle here.... no time to get my house chores done... just gotta cut back somewhere... will probably sell off my pygmy goats as well.. 3 does 2 wethers if anyone is interested/

So where is a good place to get just a few hens? I want a buff orpington and maybe a java or 2. I'm new at this so I don't want to overwhelm myself and I certainly don't want to order 15 to 20 chickens. I'm not going to be ready for them until early spring so I'm starting to keep my eyes open. I want quiet, docile chickies that are good layers (not bullies). Any thoughts??

I am up here in the Orford.... deep in the woods.... Honey.... it as -13 this morning. The roos in the outside yards didn't venture out much today ... hoping their combs don't freeze off. Welcome to all the new comers. :) I have 2 toms and 3 hens... thinking about selling them off... I just have way to much to handle here.... no time to get my house chores done... just gotta cut back somewhere... will probably sell off my pygmy goats as well.. 3 does 2 wethers if anyone is interested/

i know what your saying Renie
i'm running out of buildings to put poultry in
we plan on adding a 16' long lean-to on the back side of the english orpington coop
so we can house our ducks & turkeys

I hear you there! It was also -13 outside our barn then too ( but we are not far from you
wink.png
) . My guys and girls seem to think they are going to be eaten by the snow and only go out if I shovel them a path. Even my big ol' cochins!

We just got baby goats this fall. The kids love them but I agree the list is getting a bit long here too. Happy Holidays!

I hear you there!  It was also -13 outside our barn then too ( but we are not far from you ;) ) .  My guys and girls seem to think they are going to be eaten by the snow and only go out if I shovel them a path.  Even my big ol' cochins!

We just got baby goats this fall.  The kids love them but I agree the list is getting a bit long here too.  Happy Holidays!
I was thinking about goats, but it seems like a lot of hassle. I don't really want a buck, just a couple does, but that means I'd have to find a stud and sell the kids. A lot of work for milk.

MeMama.... I like the pygmy goats... size... easier to keep in their yards. and don't eat as much.. They are a meat goat If I don't sell the younger weather boy... he is going in the freezer.

I also have goats, Nigerian Dwarfs, 2 does no bucks or wethers. They aren't too much work at the moment, but like said above having to find a stud and bring the does for a "date" then tending to kids and finding homes and having to milk 2 times a day. Im starting to get stressed thinking about it lol. I was going to breed one next month but I think I might wait a bit longer. It is a lot of work for milk I sure hope its worth it.

Im thinking of cutting back on my list also. I might let the ducks go, Im still thinking about it though.

Back
Top Bottom