New hens wheezing and caughing

taxidermist

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 16, 2014
Hi everyone, . I happened to stop by my local feed store and they had "retired"gold comet and RIR hens. (I assume from an egg operation because all their beaks are dubbed).
I figured to be nice, I'd give them a home and maybe get a few eggs too.
(I also picked up 6 more hens from a neighbor shortly after. I didn't intend to but they are 2 year old comets and lay massive eggs. They have been in a 4×6 coop their whole lives and look terrible .they are nutrient deficient. I received 4 large eggs today and 1 leathery one. They have been eating each others feathers and had poop balls stuck to their feet. But despite this these 6 seem otherwise healthy.

The problem started with the 2 from the feed store:

On the first day, I noticed they didn't stray far from the pen. Only a few feet. While my 2 barred rocks happily run out to free range. I figured this was because they have never been able to do so.

After several days, they still have not laid an egg. (I know they are 3 years old and will not lay like a young hen).
At night, I hear them sneeze-cough-wheezing.

Now one of my barred rock hens is starting to exhibit the same symptoms. She has also stopped laying and is breathing with her mouth open. (My barred rocks are 1.5 years old).

I don't know what it is. From reading similar lost, I got some vet RX and applied it warm directly to their nose, waddles, and comb. As well as misted all others with a spray bottle containing 2 cups warm water and 3 tabe spoons vetRX.

they all exhibit a healthy appetite and drink water.
I added electrolytes and probiotics to their water.

Sometimes a mild respiratory infection runs it's course in a few weeks, other times it can kill them, so if it worsens you may need to see a vet for some antibiotics.

Sex links often quit laying totally by 2-3 years of age, so you may never see any eggs out of them.

Thank you. I know it's all speculation at this point as to what it could be.. I knew better than to integrate them immediately. Lesson learned. They are all very friendly and I hope to get them straight. I've never seen such big eggs as the 6 I got from a neighbor. They all look double yolked but are normal.

I would continue to treat them for lung stuff with the vet RX, while giving them Tylan 50 every other day, alternate the medicines

The Tylan 50, is that a cattle antibiotic? That's what pops up when I search for it. What's the dose for birds? Can it be administered orally?

Both Tylan 50 and Tylan 200 should be given at least twice a day when giving it to birds. To give the proper amount means that you should know how much your bird weighs. How much do your birds weigh?

If I were going to use it I would give Tylan 200 @ 0.125 ml per *pound* twice a day. That is based off of what Elanco says the daily dose of their powder should be.

Welcome to BYC! No such thing as Tylan 50 or Tylan 200 for "chickens", it's for cows, but people use it to treat poultry. The only one made for poultry is Tylan Soluble Powder, but it's prescription only.

@casportpony is the dosing expert, but she will want you to weigh your birds.
And I'm not sure if you noticed..it will probably do nothing if you give it every other day.

Do a search for TYLAN by Casportpony so you can see what I am talking about.

Back
Top Bottom