New here, hello! First time incubating, duck eggs in a Little Giant -- tips (humidity, temp?) :)

A_Beautiful_Mess

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2024
Hello folks!! :) I raised chickens and (LOTS of) ducks growing up, and totally fell in love with keeping ducks. I had my own mini flock of khaki campbells about 10 years ago, but have had to step away from it since. I finally live somewhere where I can have backyard poultry again, and I'm SO excited to be planning to hatch out a flock of ducks this spring!!

I purchased a used Little Giant forced-air incubator with an egg turner, and I know there's a steep learning curve before I'd be able to successfully hatch duck eggs. Does anyone have suggestions for where to start? :) I am reading 'hatching and brooding your own chicks' (the book) and just got 'storey's guide to raising ducks'. I feel pretty confident about being able to set up a brooder and a coop / run. The biggest things I still need to learn are: humidity control (how to do this with the incubator I have, and what humidity to shoot for at each stage -- can I use the humidity recommendations I'm reading about for chicken eggs, or are these very different for ducks? Is it really a good idea to spray-cool duck eggs daily?), temperature timeline, and best practices during hatching. :)

If it's relevant, the breeds I'm most strongly considering right now are silver appleyards, welsh harlequins, and cayugas; but I've toyed around with the idea of having some pekins or muscovies too -- I'll probably select at least 2 breeds and have a mixed flock. I anticipate that if I want to end up with at least ~5-10 laying ducks, I should probably start with like ~30+ shipped eggs (~80% successful fertility / survive shipping, ~80% hatch rate if I'm lucky, ~50% female, some wiggle room for other issues).

Looking forward to being a part of this community!! :)

LittleGiant2.jpg
Here's my incubator, for reference! :)

Congratulations on getting back to ducks! OOOH, they are so CUTE when they are babies. Send pictures, please! Best wishes with your incubation and all things duck.

Here is an article on incubation that is relevant with ducks as well as other poultry.

And here are tips and tricks for raising ducks, though you may be able to add to it yourself!

To look for articles on your own:

A. Use the SEARCH button, but use the Advanced Search choice, and select ARTICLES at the top of the box. Just enter your keyword(s) and scroll through your results!

B. I find it helpful to notice the rating and reviews. All articles are by BYC members, and all the reviews/ratings are as well. The ratings help a newbie like me sort the most useful and reliable articles.

C. You can bookmark the articles or posts you think you want to refer to again using that bookmark icon at the top of articles or posts. You can find them again by clicking on your own avatar and looking at the list of bookmarks you have built up!

Back
Top Bottom