new here, new to our property, and getting new chickens, all since the new year!

Thank you all! I can't wait for better weather and longer days so I can get more done.

Once I get machines there well hit hard.

I'm just about over the whole snow thing. Lol. But my wife took one picture of the property in full snow, and I tell ya, looks like a Christmas card.

Luckily, wife and I agreed on a design fairly easily. Pretty non extravagant, just lost of wood.

I'd love to see everyone else's new home/property projects as well. And best of luck with them all.

This is what we are looking at doing:

We are considering some already built properties as well... we want a minimum of 1200 sq ft for our house, and a minimum of 10 acres. In the future we plan on adding some outbuildings anyway so we can always put extra living space in them or add an addition if we need one.
I'm getting quotes on a couple of things now to get an accurate price point going on what we would be looking at spending. I do think it is easier to build than buy and remodel, because who knows what problems you will come across remodeling (knob wiring, mold, water leaks, etc)... but there are some properties that might be a better value to buy, especially if they have more acerage and fences and outbuildings!

That's basically the same house we are going to build. :)

We are planning on metal siding and roof though with wood throughout the interior. Mostly milled from the timber on the land.

We are planning it to be free span so there are no load bearing walls in the interior and a huge kitchen and living room ( open concept )

Biggest challenge currently is where to put the house. As that will change the foundation.

That's basically the same house we are going to build.
smile.png

We are planning on metal siding and roof though with wood throughout the interior. Mostly milled from the timber on the land.

We are planning it to be free span so there are no load bearing walls in the interior and a huge kitchen and living room ( open concept )

Biggest challenge currently is where to put the house. As that will change the foundation.
You should look at pole barn houses... there is another name for them but that sounds exactly like what you are talking about =) POST FRAME HOUSES!
smile.png

I heard they are cheaper to build too!

Post frame is exactly what we are going to build. :) well kinda, post frame on foundation.

Same concept honestly.

What we want is the open floor. And this fits the bill just nice like.

I'll build the concrete poured foundation and a friend of mine is a framer, he'll put the shell up with his crew. Said last one they did took 3 days.ill finish the interior.

Wood furnace and my favorite part of all. The shower room.

Post frame is exactly what we are going to build.
smile.png
well kinda, post frame on foundation.

Same concept honestly.

What we want is the open floor. And this fits the bill just nice like.

I'll build the concrete poured foundation and a friend of mine is a framer, he'll put the shell up with his crew. Said last one they did took 3 days.ill finish the interior.

Wood furnace and my favorite part of all. The shower room.
I was thinking about doing that but you have to do double exterior walls from what I have read and drywalling can be an issue due to the spacing. I also don't know how easy it is to put seperation in for bedrooms, bathrooms, etc.

Last edited:
I'm honestly not sure what your concerns are?

The walls are insulated and vapor proofed before siding and can be even insulated on top of that. Towards the interior, giving twice the insulation of a common stud wall.

Interior walls are so simple. Think prefab and slap em where ya want em. Since they are non load bearing.

The floor needs to be trussed or beamed if using anything other than slab, but cost effectiveness is, wood is cheaper then concrete.

I'd love to discuss our plans and yours further! We worked around some hurdles to figure it out and I'd be glad to share

I'm honestly not sure what your concerns are?

The walls are insulated and vapor proofed before siding and can be even insulated on top of that. Towards the interior, giving twice the insulation of a common stud wall.

Interior walls are so simple. Think prefab and slap em where ya want em. Since they are non load bearing.

The floor needs to be trussed or beamed if using anything other than slab, but cost effectiveness is, wood is cheaper then concrete.

I'd love to discuss our plans and yours further! We worked around some hurdles to figure it out and I'd be glad to share
The span of the beams of a post frame house are different than those of a stick built. Drywall is the size to fit stick built so from what I read it isn't easy to do on a post frame. I do like the look of the pole barn, but I have practically no building experience and my husband isn't the best either... so I would worry about anything that would be more complicated, and people might charge us more for work on the inside due to.

The picture I showed you will cost us around $20,000 for the shell, including the porch, roof, exterior doors and windows, and interior wall framing. They also offer plumbing, electrical, and then they offer a treated wood post foundation option if you decide to go that route instead of with a slab.
Since the price for this is pretty good I'm leaning this direction right now. It is a deal from a lumber company so they have lower prices on wood.

Are you building your own or paying for labor?

I do think a huge benefit of pole barn style is the shell is cheap to build and goes up fast, but I do worry about how hard it is to finish out the inside.

True that drywall is designed for post frame. But what ends up happening with the way we are going to build, is, you basically put dummy studs in for such things. Really no problem at all.

I'm going to set the poured concrete foundation myself and have a friend of mine frame, side,and roof.

Not technically paying for labor, more of barter, as I've been working on his equipment to build up a bank with him. My labor for his, if you will. And he gets screaming prices from lumber companies, as he builds about a house a week.

We're looking in the 8 to 10k range for foundation and structure. Interior will add cost as we go, but I get contractor price on all that, which helps.

Also my sewer/septic I will do myself. All things that add huge $$$ but I can do for cents.

Oh, don't think it is all wonderful though, doing it myself is going to add lots of time to the build! Something that I'm short of.

But I also won't be making payments on a 100k mortgage, so if it takes an extra year and we are free and clear, I'll wait lol.

I will say look into slab etc when looking. The added cost of plumbing and heating can quickly raise the cost of a slab to we'll more then a crawl space or even a full basement.

How far back on the property are you thinking of building? Is the property fairly flat?
I had some friends who built their dream house way back on their wooded property. Within a couple of years they regretted it because of the massive length of driveway to drive every day to get the mail, plow in the winter and the problems that friends had finding their house because they can't see it. It also broke up the property and they lost their prime hunting space.
I met one of our neighbors here at our new place and he built his dream home right in the center of his 40 acres. He said the mosquitos were so bad in the woods that he had to cut all the trees back and now has had to cut most of the trees off the lot.

Back
Top Bottom