New Jersey

glad to see so many chicken lovers in jersey
celebrate.gif
my friends and family think I'm crazy, but i know I'm not alone now! I've been looking for anyone who would be willing to show me how to process a chicken from beginning to end or just visit their chickens and haven't been able to locate anyone yet. I'm still fairly new as my girls are only 2 months old but I'm eager to learn anything I can!

And i read a few pages back about some people wanting to get together and talk chicken :] I'd love to do that and im willing to travel! my girls and i live in egg harbor city

Thanks!
I can give you the scoop on processing. I raise Cornish Rocks once a year and fill my freezer. I'll message you.
smile.png

I just remembered that jersey chickens had lots of baby ducks too. All kinds. Just checked his site for you and he's closed till mid sept and will reopen with lots of new hatches.
But does schusters farm still have ducklings? is he closing? And does anyone know if he has muscovy ducklings as well as pekins?

i don't plan on using my current girls as meat chickens but after doing all the research i was thinking about getting some next spring, i just wanted to make sure i could first ;] with my luck id get 5 dinner chickens and never be able to do the job! haha

and i found some pictures on another thread of the the live chicken vs. the dressed chicken and i do think Cornish will be the best on to go with.

my family thinks I'm crazy but after my fiance saw the baby chicks he fell in love too so my lovely ladies are just for eggs, he was the one who suggested getting more next year...and adding and extra four feet to the coop and run "just in case"
tongue.png
he just has an issue with the slaughter part of it, but i think its because I've turned him into an animal lover.

thank you all so much for the feedback! i truly do appreciate it!

But does schusters farm still have ducklings? is he closing? And does anyone know if he has muscovy ducklings as well as pekins?
You'll have to call. I think Lawrosa posted the information for you one page back. He had a lot about a month ago but I couldn't even guess what he has now. Just give him a call.

Good luck!

i don't plan on using my current girls as meat chickens but after doing all the research i was thinking about getting some next spring, i just wanted to make sure i could first ;] with my luck id get 5 dinner chickens and never be able to do the job! haha

and i found some pictures on another thread of the the live chicken vs. the dressed chicken and i do think Cornish will be the best on to go with.
Tina, just make sure that you ARE prepared to "do the deed" before you get the birds - especially if you get cornish crosses, or meaties. They are not meant to live past 8 weeks, and can die under their own weight. Some get so big so fast that you have to slaughter them much earlier. The heritage breeds are just fine as long as you're not looking for an oven-stuffer roaster. The Salmon Faverolles (my favorite breed) is the national chicken of France, and there are certain meat dishes there that can only be made with that breed. The Wyandottes and the Rocks are your classic heritage bird - what do you think our ancestors ate before they invented these horrible franken-chickens? How about our own At least with the heritage breed, although you may end up with a slightly lighter carcass, you'll get good flavor, and a bird that won't eat itself to death. Check out the list from Slow Food USA - there's no cornish on it. This is a list of the most flavorful and fulfilling foods you can grow and eat, even if you have to wait a little longer. http://www.slowfoodusa.org/index.php/programs/details/ark_of_taste/

For more info on slaughtering, do searches for Harvey Ussery and Joel Salatin. They have it down to a science, and with methods that can be replicated at home.

Good luck!

Has anyone from Scotch Plains (NJ) started a letter or petition re owning chickens? My family and I finally found a house that we like to move to but just found out chickens are not considered as a domesticated animal/pet so we can't bring them with us....

any help would be great

Back
Top Bottom