New Jersey

Ok everyone! I called schucter's poultry farm, unfortunately the youngest ducklings they sell are around 3 weeks
:( but they do sell hatching eggs and rent incubators so i think i'll try that. Im very disappointed though, because i have to wait even LONGER until i finally get my ducks
hit.gif

Last edited:
Found a farm in nj called Godek's farm, they mostly do butchering but does anyone know if they ever have ducklings?

Last edited:
They are mainly a place where you pick out what will look good for dinner, and they take it out back for a walk. ;) wink wink. I've seen the place, I don't think you want to bring home anything from there. Sorry your not having any luck. You should try posting an ad on Craigslist or search some of the older ads and ask if they have any hatching soon. Sometimes you can have some luck that way.

Ok, i think i'll just buy hatching eggs from Schuster's, they have duck eggs available now and incubators for rent. I just don't want to wait that long. ANYONE KNOW IF SCHUSTER"S FARM RAISES MUSCOVY AND PEKIN DUCKS? I hope... but those are the most popular meat breeds so they most likely will. Thanks for all the help! I'm visiting schuster's soon. Cant wait!!
big_smile.png

Hey Ally Rose- i thought you originally were searching for fertile duck eggs so they have what you wanted right??? When you talked to them and got all the other information did you get so excited because you finally found what you were looking for that you forgot to ask about specific breeds? Just call back.

Yes i did, but i don't know if i can wait that long! We are visiting soon, i don't feel like calling back (I'm so lazy ^o^) but i am almost sure that they have pekins, but muscovies would just be a bonus! I will beg my dad to take me today, and i will most likely fall in love with some other baby bird and take it home too
lol.png
i can't wait!
bun.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Ally, I may have missed it, but where are you located in NJ? The last few times I've been to the Hackettstown auction, they've had a ton of ducklings, from calls to muscovies, rouens and pekins. You may want to try there. The auction is every Tuesday at 1:30. Things have been going cheap lately!

Also, you could call Goffle Road Poultry Farm. They are in Wyckoff. He doesn't always have stuff for sale, but I've gotten some great birds from him. He mostly butchers, but sells other stuff on the side.

http://www.gofflepoultry.com/

Good luck!

Oh, forgot to mention the Sussex poultry show Oct. 20th and 21st. Awesome sale section there. You can usually find a little bit of everything!

Tina, just make sure that you ARE prepared to "do the deed" before you get the birds - especially if you get cornish crosses, or meaties. They are not meant to live past 8 weeks, and can die under their own weight. Some get so big so fast that you have to slaughter them much earlier. The heritage breeds are just fine as long as you're not looking for an oven-stuffer roaster. The Salmon Faverolles (my favorite breed) is the national chicken of France, and there are certain meat dishes there that can only be made with that breed. The Wyandottes and the Rocks are your classic heritage bird - what do you think our ancestors ate before they invented these horrible franken-chickens? How about our own At least with the heritage breed, although you may end up with a slightly lighter carcass, you'll get good flavor, and a bird that won't eat itself to death. Check out the list from Slow Food USA - there's no cornish on it. This is a list of the most flavorful and fulfilling foods you can grow and eat, even if you have to wait a little longer. http://www.slowfoodusa.org/index.php/programs/details/ark_of_taste/

For more info on slaughtering, do searches for Harvey Ussery and Joel Salatin. They have it down to a science, and with methods that can be replicated at home.

Good luck!
Joe Salatin is my hero. Look up his definition of "agricultural truth".

Last edited:
Yes i did, but i don't know if i can wait that long! We are visiting soon, i don't feel like calling back (I'm so lazy ^o^) but i am almost sure that they have pekins, but muscovies would just be a bonus! I will beg my dad to take me today, and i will most likely fall in love with some other baby bird and take it home too
lol.png
i can't wait!
bun.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
Hi Ally Rose, I'm going to send you a PM with more info!

Back
Top Bottom