New Jersey

Welcome!! You need to secure your run as if you DO have predators. Cats, raccoons, opossums, fox and even coyote are all around urban and suburban areas. Most of us can tell you of a loss or too. I had a loss to a hawk just a few weeks ago. Do what you can to protect them.

I would research the toxicity of the variety of crab apple it is. Apple seeds can be toxic to Chickens but I don't know about the crabapple.

You are only a few minutes from my town (Moorestown, NJ), and there ARE definitely hawks and possums! We made our run all with chicken wire and wood - in a year, nothing has got into it. I let the chickens free range the backyard if I am home and can keep an ear/eye out. (We lost a silkie last week to a hawk during free range though.
hit.gif
) I don't know about the crab apples. Sorry!

Thanks for the info and suggestions. We too had plans to do a little free range for the girls as well ( of course when we are out there). I am hoping that our dogs will help to be a little extra protection. I will look up what info I can on the crabapples. The trees where here when we moved in and my husband has been looking for a good reason to take them down. They really are a pain in the ***** they are only about 7ft tall total so it make mowing the lawn for a 6ft 4 in man hard and they drop stuff year round. So he may get him wish ;)
Thanks again, Ill let you know how it goes

Quote: Good advice. I always tell people, if a three-year-old boy can get into the run, a raccoon can. Prepare for all the predators you can think of before the birds arrive - you're doing it right.

I checked a bit for info on crabapples, and so far have not found anything to indicate they are poisonous. However, do some more research. I would not let the apples sit around on the ground, though - they can ferment, and THAT might make them sick. They will get enough treats from the ones that fall before you can get to them. Welcome to chickens!

I hesitate to get everyone's blood up, but some of you may not be aware of the virulent opposition some people have to chickens. Check out this article - and the comments - from West Milford regarding a meeting about changing that town's ordinance against having a pet flock on less than one acre. I replied to a couple of the comments, but gave up - these people do not want to be convinced they're wrong. Just be aware that, if you move to a new area, or are trying to change the ordinances where you presently live, you will run into angry people like these, so be prepared. I advise against replying to these people at this point, unless you have some positive facts to offer - they will not listen, and you will only make yourself upset - I know I was. But, on a positive note, the council seemed very inclined to the idea.

I hesitate to get everyone's blood up, but some of you may not be aware of the virulent opposition some people have to chickens. Check out this article - and the comments - from West Milford regarding a meeting about changing that town's ordinance against having a pet flock on less than one acre. I replied to a couple of the comments, but gave up - these people do not want to be convinced they're wrong. Just be aware that, if you move to a new area, or are trying to change the ordinances where you presently live, you will run into angry people like these, so be prepared. I advise against replying to these people at this point, unless you have some positive facts to offer - they will not listen, and you will only make yourself upset - I know I was. But, on a positive note, the council seemed very inclined to the idea.
I agree, don't bother. Unfortunately you can't talk to people who won't liste, and when they are stuck on one idea. If I ever have to move again, I will be sure to check the zoning carefully. I have 1.5+ acres and still isn't enough :(

Thanks for the info and suggestions. We too had plans to do a little free range for the girls as well ( of course when we are out there). I am hoping that our dogs will help to be a little extra protection.  I will look up what info I can on the crabapples. The trees where here when we moved in and my husband has been looking for a good reason to take them down. They really are a pain in the ***** they are only about 7ft tall total so it make mowing the lawn for a 6ft 4 in man hard and they drop stuff year round. So he may get him wish ;)
Thanks again, Ill let you know how it goes

Predators are so tough. You can research all of the local wildlife in your area and over look your neighbors super sweet out door cat :( Found that out the hard way! Just make sure your coop and run is secure. No holes, gaps, or spots to dig under. What chicks are you getting by the way?

I hesitate to get everyone's blood up, but some of you may not be aware of the virulent opposition some people have to chickens.  Check out this article - and the comments - from West Milford regarding a meeting about changing that town's ordinance against having a pet flock on less than one acre.  I replied to a couple of the comments, but gave up - these people do not want to be convinced they're wrong.  Just be aware that, if you move to a new area, or are trying to change the ordinances where you presently live, you will run into angry people like these, so be prepared.  I advise against replying to these people at this point, unless you have some positive facts to offer - they will not listen, and you will only make yourself upset - I know I was. But, on a positive note, the council seemed very inclined to the idea.

OMG!!!! I just read the article and the posts are infuriating. I had to stop reading. Loved your post Mame1616. Ignorance is a funny thing. I couldn't help but notice that all of the negative, uneducated replies were riddled with spelling and grammar errors. It was actually kind of amusing. There were a few sentences that i actually had trouble deciphering what they were trying to say. Stupid comments by stupid people.

Apple seeds of any kind are highly toxic to many animals.

Good advice. I always tell people, if a three-year-old boy can get into the run, a raccoon can. Prepare for all the predators you can think of before the birds arrive - you're doing it right.

I checked a bit for info on crabapples, and so far have not found anything to indicate they are poisonous. However, do some more research. I would not let the apples sit around on the ground, though - they can ferment, and THAT might make them sick. They will get enough treats from the ones that fall before you can get to them. Welcome to chickens!

Predators are so tough. You can research all of the local wildlife in your area and over look your neighbors super sweet out door cat
sad.png
Found that out the hard way! Just make sure your coop and run is secure. No holes, gaps, or spots to dig under. What chicks are you getting by the way?
Thanks again, It nice to have so much great information, suggestions and support just a few clicks away :). Well the Trees are going to be moved to another part of the yard,
1 We don't want to run the risk of anyone getting sick.
2. We can not find a way to build the run we want around them and still have a secure run for our girls.

We are welcoming a Australorp, two Ameraucanas and a Buff Orpington they are coming for Jersey Chickens in Jackson NJ. We have experience with the first three, we helped a family member raise them from chicks and they are so wonderful, My 2 year old son LOVES them and they love him.He holds them and they eat from his hand, they run to us when we get the coop. We are hoping to have just as wonderful relationship with our own. I picked the Buff Orpington on reviews and I think they are beautiful.
I will be sure to post pictures of them when we pick them up as well as pictures of the coop

Back
Top Bottom