New Jersey

Hello everyone! I live in Middletown and have hens. I was afraid of asking the town after seeing some responses people get from these code officials. Can anyone school me on middletowns laws? I live on .98 of an acre

Hello everyone! I live in Middletown and have hens. I was afraid of asking the town after seeing some responses people get from these code officials. Can anyone school me on middletowns laws? I live on .98 of an acre
I Did a quick search of their online township code (searched chicken, rooster, and poultry), and the only thing I saw listed was

§ 68-24. Running at large. [Amended 5-21-2007 by Ord. No. 2007-2915]

No person shall allow any farm animal, including but not limited to any horse, mule, cattle, swine, goat, sheep, chicken, duck, or rooster, to run at large on public property or on private property without the consent and authority of the owner of that property.

and then a definition of "farm building" (including definition of "farm" as well as I would imagine that helps clear up your situation)
Farm means any parcel of land, three (3) acres or larger in size, which is used for gain in the raising of agricultural products, livestock or dairy products.
Farm Building means any building used for the housing of agricultural equipment, produce, livestock, or poultry or for the incidental or customary processing of farm products, and provided that such building is located on, operated in conjunction with and necessary to the operation of a farm as defined by this Chapter.

Please note, I am NOT a lawyer, and I only did a very QUICK search, but if you keep them on your own property, and aren't raising them "for gain", my reading would be that you should be OK. Someone else might have better information though.

I live in Middletown, and the last time I called the township, the (very belated) response was that there were NO regulations regarding chickens in the books. Regardless, I keep my coop area clean and neat, and I only have bantam males, so it doesn't annoy my neighbors. We're very lucky here, so I don't abuse it, and in the program I give at the library, I encourage others to do so - after telling them the crap other people in other towns have to go through. We are surrounded by towns with restrictions, and I don't want to give the township a reason to change their minds. When I lived in River Plaza, I had six hens, and my neighbors didn't even know for six months! I have 24 now, with a high number of 32. I'm in Oak Hill now.

Hi I'm in Morris county & have a 3 month old Splash Marans cockerel I need to rehome. He hatched on December 27, 2014. If you are interested in taking him pm me :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom