New Jersey

Pics
Quote:
Call your zoning board office. They should have any regulations. And make sure you come to the poultry show on the 22nd at the State Fairgrounds!

Is this show at the Sussex fairgrounds?

Yup! I have a thread started for it on the Chickenstock/Shows Forum with more details. Hope you can make it!

Thought it was about time I posted an update. Of my five chickens, three ended up being roos. Suffice it to say I have gotten rid of them, and today I replaced them with a young white leghorn, and young RIR, and a year old red comet. Integration with my two pullets went surprisingly easy, which is something I was worried about.

Hope all is well with fellow chicken folks here in Jersey.

Quote:
From your description it seems you did not isolate them first - you might want to think about that in the future, as you never know what secret problems they may have brought with them. Where did you find them? Red Bank is not known for it's surfeit of poultry. Are you coming up to the poultry show on the 22nd?

They are trying to get an exemption since she is 4H.....going to have a meeting on the 22nd but working toward changing the law in the town

Quote:
Well that's crappy - does anyone know an update? These towns better get with the program - chickens are coming, so they are going to have to deal with it.

Quote:
From your description it seems you did not isolate them first - you might want to think about that in the future, as you never know what secret problems they may have brought with them. Where did you find them? Red Bank is not known for it's surfeit of poultry. Are you coming up to the poultry show on the 22nd?

I got them from a farm in Lakewood. Very interesting place.

Where is the poultry show on Oct 22?

Thanks

Quote:

Thanks

At the State Fairgrounds in Augusta. About 90 minutes from here, but a nice ride. Get the directions here: wwws.njstatefair.org

Look for the big greenhouse to the right as you pull in - our building is right in front of that. Of course, you could listen for the crowing and follow that. Things start clearing up around 2, depending on how many birds we have. Last fall we had over 1000 birds. I don't know how Crossroads is going to affect us.

Quote:

Thanks

At the State Fairgrounds in Augusta. About 90 minutes from here, but a nice ride. Get the directions here: wwws.njstatefair.org

Look for the big greenhouse to the right as you pull in - our building is right in front of that. Of course, you could listen for the crowing and follow that. Things start clearing up around 2, depending on how many birds we have. Last fall we had over 1000 birds. I don't know how Crossroads is going to affect us.

Sort of like how I find my band at parades, just listen! Yeah, I'll try to make that. Thanks.

I have a few questions for my fellow Jerseyans...
I'm new to chicken-keeping, but like to think I've been a quick learner
wink.png

My girls are just over 12 weeks old and were moved to their coop about 2 weeks ago.
My question is whether any of you do heat your coops at all during the winter?
There seems to be a vocal group of BYC members who are staunchly anti-heat. I know the basic arguments they raise, and I understand the logic, BUT:

a) I am not talking about using a heat lamp that could be a fire hazard, I'm interested in radiant heating, or panel heating--I've seen floor mats, too, that are sold for coops;
b) my electricity has NEVER gone out for an extended period, so there really isn't a danger that my girls will suddenly be without heat;
c) I am raising my 5 girls as PETS with benefits (eggs), not for profit, so the cost of a few added dollars tacked on to my electric bill won't keep me up at night, or keep food off the table.
d) My coop (Amish-made) is not insulated and so far, the interior temperature appears to be only a few degrees higher than outside before I open it up in the morning, even though I have probably the max number of hens it should house. It doesn't seem to retaining their heat as much as I thought it would. Is it still too early/warm to really tell?

My main cause for concern is the sleety, damp days we get in NJ during the winter months--those mornings when you wake up and everything is a covered by layers of sleet and ice, and even the dog doesn't want to go outside.
Another option I've been toying with is possibly bringing the girls into my garage on any nights when the temperature drops dangerously low. I have a small hutch/run that I used before the coop came, and I could set them up in that if we get any brutal nights.

Am I too worried? I'm probably being to much of a softie, wanting to keep them "comfortable"--as I see it? I did choose breeds that have small combs and are well-suited to cold, but I have one little bantam Easter Egger, who is my favorite--the thought of her being uncomfortable would break my heart...

My coops are not heated nor insulated. We don't have lights in our coops either. I have never lost a bird to the cold. The heat on the otherhand is a different story. Bantams do fine.

Hi GS38!
I have had great success using a panel heater. I only use it when temps get super low. It's so nice not to deal with frozen water. It's an Econo-heat electric panel heater. You can find them online and in some Home stores now. It is 400 watts/120 volts/3.5 amps, so just make sure your electric or extension cord can handle that. I have mine going to a GFCI outlet also. I've had mine for almost 5 years now and I love it. Also, I still open the windows for ventilation when it's really cold. The combo of open air and the heater makes it feel much drier in there. I might not use one if my coop was smaller, but it's way too big for only four chickens so they never warm it up with their own heat. You could use a thermo cube with the panel also. In case you don't know what that is, it's a little thermostat that turns the panel on at a certain temperature. I got one but didn't use it. I feel that if I am risking using something electrical out there, then it should be addressed all the time, not just left to do its own thing. So that's why I manually turn it on or off. And I usually only use it at night for a few hours. Hope this info helps.
Jill

Back
Top Bottom