New Jersey

Reading all these post about getting new Chicks is scaring me a little...LOL. I promised my husband we were going to stick with four and only four ..hahaha However seeing how addicting it can be I have a feeling we will be adding to our flock much sooner then he thinks
wink.png
! I am already trying to figure a way to add a 5th hen maybe a chocolate colored egg layer, Maybe ill just have to come home with a "bonus chick" when we go and pick them up. We shall see.....

I do have a question though ( please forgive me I am sure you have talked about this before) could I have some suggestions on chick starter and feed. Looking around in the forum a little I see some make there own, some have a feed store special mix, and some just use big box brands. I am hoping to get some opinions and suggestions on whats good and more importantly whats bad. Is it anything like looking at dog food labels?
Thanks in advance for the help.

I just go to one of the feed stores in the area and ask for medicated chick starter. You can use medicated or unmedicated. That's more of a personal preference kind of thing. I would suggest trying to go to a tractor supply or a store that sells smaller bags of chick starter if you are only going to have four chicks. You could probably get away with a 20 or 25 pound bag and then move on to chick grower from there.

Last edited:
I agree with chickerdoodle. I like to use the purina brand because i'm familiar with their products and their company and know they make great quality foods (dog food too). I use the medicated also.

Yes it can be harder on us I think. I have to say I think Cinderella is happy.  She had quite an attitude adjustment and seems very happy with her place now. I haven't noticed her pecking at anyone. I'm glad it has worked out for both of us. 

that's great news! Lorraine the brahma has lost all of her purple covered feathers and she has grown in all beautiful new feathers on her tail. She is also huge! She also makes the funniest sound. She doesn't make quiet little chirps like the others, she kind of honks like a goose.

Last edited:
I just go to one of the feed stores in the area and ask for medicated chick starter. You can use medicated or unmedicated. That's more of a personal preference kind of thing. I would suggest trying to go to a tractor supply or a store that sells smaller bags of chick starter if you are only going to have four chicks. You could probably get away with a 20 or 25 pound bag and then move on to chick grower from there.

IMHO, I would get the medicated, AND a 50lb bag. I had six chicks, and during the time they were supposed to eat the chick starter (18 weeks?) they plowed through that and more! It's really not that much more expensive to get the big bag. You think they are such tiny things - how much could they eat? Well, they ate like they were starving 24 hours a day! I suppose if we were generally doubling our size for the first few weeks of life, we would eat that way, as well.

Also, I tried the unmedicated on someone else's advice, and they all developed cocci, even though they were still inside, and had had no contact with the rest of the flock. I'll never buy unmedicated again. It took them a long time to get over it, and I was fearful everyday that I would lose one - horrible!

Hey everyone!! I don't remember if I've asked you guys or not yet....
Do you know where I can buy river sand anywhere central jersey (I'm in Middletown area).
Hope y'all are doing great :)

Diana, try Petruzelli Bros. on Shrewsbury Ave, between Marshall's and the car wash - they have a ton of stuff there. He's a sort of a farmer, too. He has goats. A very nice guy. Tell him I sent you. (Tell him the chicken lady in Middletown.)

Diana, try Petruzelli Bros. on Shrewsbury Ave, between Marshall's and the car wash - they have a ton of stuff there. He's a sort of a farmer, too. He has goats. A very nice guy. Tell him I sent you. (Tell him the chicken lady in Middletown.)

X2. Would you believe the 25 chicks I got in October ate almost 50lb every two weeks. At tractor supply the purina 50lb med starter was around $16-17.

Edited - I quoted wrong post. Was x2 to the 50lb bag

Last edited:

I got hatching eggs from peachick last year, wheaten ameraucanas, the eggs seem to be light blue for a second then turn light minty green, like the icecream, I would not call them blue, still a nice color, well if anybody local wants to pick some up to incubate (for free of course)PM me, I'm close to were 195 goes over 9

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom