New Jersey

llandry, I am so sorry to hear that you had a predator attack. It leaves you feeling hollow inside and vulnerable.

I think I am going to quit birds... I was outside in the yard a few hours ago. The kid and I were playing tetherball and bbqing dinner and I hear all this ruckus coming from the coops (about a hundred feet away). I look over and a bear is in the grow out run eating one of the easter hatch birds. I get the kid inside and blow the airhorn at it and it didn't even flinch. So I get the dog (she is a Tennessee Treeing Brindle, made for this sort of thing) and she barks like crazy and runs it off. I go assess the damage: it ate 3 young birds (two pullets and a cockerel crested legbars). I am getting the remaining birds gathered, since they all ran off when the bear ripped the run open, and I turn around and it is back. Now it is sniffing at my quail pens (they are inside the run) and the other chickens in there. It tries to climb my run. Thankfully my Uncle (next door) comes running down to help and we run it off again. Then it comes back again. What kind of bear is not afraid of an airhorn, a dog, and two humans screaming at it? 

We ran it off and up into the woods the last time, but It will be back tonight. I am certain of it. If I wake up to a quail massacre and a downed run, I quit. I may try an electric fence around the run, but honestly, it will only work until it rips that down too. I am just ready to give up. First a hawk took 11 bantams in the early spring, then the neighbors dog attacked my rooster, now the bear. I can't take it anymore. We have had bears around a lot, and I knew it was only a matter of time. I suppose 5 years is a good long run considering how many bears are around here. 

So, if I think I am going to liquidate the flock. I love having them, but this is becoming more work than it is worth.  I have 4 week old red pyle modern games, blue Belgian D'Anvers, porcelain dutch, blue dutch, cream crested legbars, mature cot quail (if they survive the next few days), and an assortment of older laying hens (some of the year olds are spitzhaubens and brabanters though). I will also have several pair of red golden pheasant. 

that's awful!!!!! you're absolutely right, you feel vulneable and helpless. we have electric fencing that is supposed to be bear proof. it wasn't on the other night when we had the attack but it was the first attack since we got the fence a few years ago so it does work. i've touched it by mistake once or twice too and YIKES it takes your breath away. maybe it's an option? are you allowed to have someone shoot it? i'm not into hunting (my husband is) but i'd be able to shoot what killed my flock the other night if i had to. let alone having my kids in the yard with a bear!

I decided to sell my 1.5 yr old Araucana hen. She is friendly & can easily be handled. She lays a gorgeous large/extra large blue egg ... that is when she isn't broody. 
That's actually why I'm selling her...she has gone broody on me 4 times in the past 10 months. I don't have/can't have a rooster so I have no need for a broody hen. I did purchase hatching eggs for her once & she was a great mom so of you are looking for a great broody/mom she's the one for you. I'm asking $75 because she is a pure bred true Araucana but I will take reasonable offers. 
***Also will trade even for a blue egg laying hen 3-10 months old...americana, easter egger, cream legbar or other***
I am located in Noth jersey wayne 07470 area.

Last edited:
I just sold 5 chicks for $40. I really hate selling stuff I'm a terrible business person lol but I need to be able to keep these other ones fed right? I sad 10 each and gave 1 free... Do you think that was fair? I have seen such a variety of prices depending on the age and breed on CL.

All 9 weeks
1 golden laced Wyandotte
1 Easter Egger (sold to me as Ameraucana from Privett)
1 Speckled Sussex
1 mix (half EE, half white Leghorn)
1 mix (half red comet, half red comet)
I think that person got a great deal! Would you have any other e.e.? I'm looking to buy some.

Back
Top Bottom