New Mexico

Coccidiosis is more likely during the rainy season, if we get one this year. :p

It has been raining in Albuquerque since 5 pm. It occasionally stopped. My chooks were very excited. They stayed in their run, which is covered and has a metal roof on it for the most part. but they went out in the rain, when it was drizzling.

I cleaned their poop in the run and coop, and checked for blood in their poop. DO I need to be careful about changing their bedding after it has rained so they are always dry?

How does one check for Coccidiosis? I know they are so young and I am a little worried as it going to pour over the weekend.

It has been raining in Albuquerque since 5 pm. It occasionally stopped. My chooks were very excited. They stayed in their run, which is covered and has a metal roof on it for the most part. but they went out in the rain, when it was drizzling.

I cleaned their poop in the run and coop, and checked for blood in their poop. DO I need to be careful about changing their bedding after it has rained so they are always dry?

How does one check for Coccidiosis? I know they are so young and I am a little worried as it going to pour over the weekend.
One day isn't trouble, it's the day after day, couple weeks of warm wet ground that allows Coccidiosis is flourish. All you can do is keep food from spilling on the ground, keep the poop picked up and definitely keep an eye on behavior. A sick bird will go off their feed and water, stand around lost looking, sometimes but not always you will find blood or mucus in the poop. Excessive white stained butt feathers as well. A poop sample at the vet can also determine if Coccidiosis is becoming a problem. Always keep Corid on hand just in case. Even birds that are immune can become overwhelmed with it.

Okay thank you. This morning I let them out of their run to explore the garden and cleaned their coop and run of any droppings. Never have I ever examined poop so intensely! :D

It has been shining here nicely. I did get Corid at TSC, though they only had powder kind.
Thank you!

I have been using food grade DE in their dust bath and run just to dry things a little. I hope that's alright.

Okay thank you. This morning I let them out of their run to explore the garden and cleaned their coop and run of any droppings. Never have I ever examined poop so intensely! :D

It has been shining here nicely. I did get Corid at TSC, though they only had powder kind.
Thank you!

I have been using food grade DE in their dust bath and run just to dry things a little. I hope that's alright.
Yep, become a poop inspector! :D Great on the Corid. When and if you need it, use 1 teaspoon to 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid (depending on how bad the outbreak) to one gallon of water. I usually use 1 teaspoon, taste matters with chickens and they can turn up their beaks at funky tasting water. Use it for 7-10 days. For really bad outbreaks, sometimes you need to repeat this dosage a week or two later. DE is fine to use but don't go overboard that they are inhaling too much powder, it can cut the lung tissue. Don't breathe it in yourself!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom