New Mexico

How old? From here it looks like a pullet to me.
Ginger, the BO, is right now, 9.5 weeks old. I really hope she is a girl.

Attachments

• IMG_20200713_091607.jpg
    IMG_20200713_091607.jpg
    632.2 KB · Views: 4
I also posted in a different forum about deworming as preventative care. the reason i ask is thus,
1.) i have noticed all of my 5 flock are excellent hunters. Tinnie, my brahma caught a centipede yesterday.
2.) they have had squash bugs, grasshoppers, crickets, and ants. We have a vegetable garden.
3.) its so dry out here in NM, I was wondering if I needed to put them on a regular deworming schedule?
May be I am overthinking this, but I would not want to find out when its too late if they have worms....

I also posted in a different forum about deworming as preventative care. the reason i ask is thus,
1.) i have noticed all of my 5 flock are excellent hunters. Tinnie, my brahma caught a centipede yesterday.
2.) they have had squash bugs, grasshoppers, crickets, and ants. We have a vegetable garden.
3.) its so dry out here in NM, I was wondering if I needed to put them on a regular deworming schedule?
May be I am overthinking this, but I would not want to find out when its too late if they have worms....
All these years I have never had a worm problem. Coccidiosis is more likely during the rainy season, if we get one this year. :p

This being said, I worm my birds twice a year with Safeguard liquid goat wormer or Safeguard Equine paste. Like your birds, mine like the centipedes, :sick lots of slugs, earth worms, snails and these types that carry Capillary worms.

Yours probably wouldn't need worming until fall. You might take a poop sample into a vet, (do you have a dog or cat vet?) Most vets take bird poop samples and can test them for a pretty cheap price. Then you will know exactly what worms you are dealing with, if any.

All these years I have never had a worm problem. Coccidiosis is more likely during the rainy season, if we get one this year. :p

This being said, I worm my birds twice a year with Safeguard liquid goat wormer or Safeguard Equine paste. Like your birds, mine like the centipedes, :sick lots of slugs, earth worms, snails and these types that carry Capillary worms.

Yours probably wouldn't need worming until fall. You might take a poop sample into a vet, (do you have a dog or cat vet?) Most vets take bird poop samples and can test them for a pretty cheap price. Then you will know exactly what worms you are dealing with, if any.
Thank you! you have been very kind and helpful :)

Yeah, I called my vet today and they do treat poultry, but no preventative care. Only if there is an issue. Will have to call them about the float test.
How do you choose what poop to sample? I mean, it all looks the same to me. I mean from every bird!
I would chose a couple of standard poops from several birds under the roost bar in the morning, no cecal poop, get a baggie and grab a few in the bag and zip close. Generally if one has worms, they all do.

Great that you do have a vet! They come in handy for meds and for euthanasia if you can't do this yourself.
Thank you! you have been very kind and helpful :)
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom