New Mexico

Hello, we are finally done with our chicken coop and it will be ready in a week or so with some finishing touches.
Can the 4 week old chicks be outside in the coop?
We are also looking for buff orpingtons and black australorp pullets preferablely.
Do you guys where we can find them locally?
Thanks

Hello, we are finally done with our chicken coop and it will be ready in a week or so with some finishing touches.
We are also looking for buff orpingtons and black australorp pullets preferablely.
Thanks
It should be about that time when you can start bringing them outside based on their age and the warm nights of summer, though I would first make sure they have their feathers grown out first just to be sure. As far as trying to find specific breeds, the local feed stores are going to be your best bet. If you're not as picky about breed I would say check Craigslist. Right now I see postings for mixed breed chicks, leghorn chicks, and for mature Golden Comet hens (laying hens and molting hens alike).

Thanks
Call Quality Baits down in the south valley. Those are two breeds they like to keep in stock. I know he has some cuckoo marans last weekend that we’re hatched end of May as well.

Hi fellow NMers! I’m located in NNM, Los Alamos area. Our community is kind of chicken crazy and it’s been a lot of fun joining in, both locally and on this site. We have 10 3 week old chicks (ordered 1 each of 5 breeds and got freebie dups!). Can’t wait to have them take over their coop in a couple more weeks. They love their new excursions to their outdoor play pen. For those in higher elevations like me, what breeds have done the best? I chose B. Orp, BR, G. Comet, light Brahma, and EE, based on friendly and winter hardy attributes with a couple of solid layers in the mix.

Hi fellow NMers! I’m located in NNM, Los Alamos area. Our community is kind of chicken crazy and it’s been a lot of fun joining in, both locally and on this site. We have 10 3 week old chicks (ordered 1 each of 5 breeds and got freebie dups!). Can’t wait to have them take over their coop in a couple more weeks. They love their new excursions to their outdoor play pen. For those in higher elevations like me, what breeds have done the best? I chose B. Orp, BR, G. Comet, light Brahma, and EE, based on friendly and winter hardy attributes with a couple of solid layers in the mix.
Are you asking for breeds that do well in the cold? Because if you are it would be best to select large bodied breeds with small combs and thick plumage. Chantecler and Buckeyes are two examples of cold adapted breeds. But to be honest most breeds should do fine in Los Alamos unless you decide to go with a South American or other tropical adapted breed (which to be quite frank aren't going to be as readily available in the US).

Back
Top Bottom