New Mexico

What part of NM are you located in?

I outside of Albuquerque. I see you are from up north. It is so pretty up there.​

Yes, it is pretty
smile.png
I'm very blessed.

Are you interested in showing and breeding pure chickens, and working on special projects? Or are you more of the "pets and egg" type home?
smile.png
I have several as pets, but I am aiming to breed show quality birds that can win
smile.png
I also am very interested in genetics and breeding for special projects. My mom gets my rejects because she just likes them as pets and for eggs
smile.png

Just a pet, egg and meat set-up. I have too many other hobbies for right now. I was interested to see you have Gold Laced Cochins. I think they are a very beautiful chicken. Right now I have 7, all different breeds. I'm trying to figure out what I like. My husband loves our buff cochin. By far his favorite. I got all of my chicken when they were 2 months old and so far they are still rather anxious around people. They will eat out of my hand but if I move they run squawking away.

Has anybody noticed a slow down of laying due to the shorter daylight hours? I am still waiting for my 7 to start laying and hoping that they don't decide to wait until spring. They are 20 weeks old and still have pink, small combs and wattles (sp?).

Injoyd reading an looking at all the nice pic's...GREAT looking bird's you peep's have...
CatHunter are you still on the web..Hear is a pic of one of my bird's
40710_021_2.jpg

Quote:
20 weeks is too early
smile.png
Most chickens dont start laying until 6-8 months old, some take even longer. When their combs and wattles get red, you'll know eggs should be soon to follow
smile.png

Hello fellow residents of the Land of Enchantment!
smile.png

Just thought I would introduce myself. I'm in Las Cruces, NM. Have two EE hens, two BCM hens, and one BCM roo. Awaiting six SFHs from Greenfire Farm. The babies should arrive this next Wed or Thurs. Will post pics if I can figure out how. Very excited!

Also curious to ask about your coops. What kind of flooring/bedding do you feel is best here in the desert? We just have dirt right now but I'm not really happy with it, as it is difficult to clean well. We generally hose it down then rake, but it leave lots of manure no matter how hard you rake- very messy when the boys get in there, as invariably happens when they are outside. If you get all the manure you end up getting too much dirt with it. I am trying to convince DH to pour some concrete and put shaving in, but he thinks that would be more difficult to manage. Any opinions on the subject would be appreciated.

Anyhow, hope to meet others in the desert and discuss the specifics of chicken care in our particular climate.

Anyone going to the last of the year Poultry swap in Edgewood Saturday? Are you planning on selling anything? I am thinking of going but not quite sure yet.

Back
Top Bottom