New Opportunities for Gamefowl

Not done yet... but one step closer to adjustable high fly perch. Right now, it can adjust from 7' up to 13' (might reduce depending on how roosters do in tests). Quick assemble and disassemble. I am going to add wood to the perch Also want to add tie cord to the perch. and maybe some rigging cables or gussets to stiffen the whole thing.
Have you gotten any of your birds to fly up on the perch on que? That will be the challenge. I can get them to go 8 feet up but training time more than most keepers of games likely to invest. Getting them to go higher is likely more a measure of the keeper than the bird itself as most in good feather should be able to go 20' vertical when properly motivated. It is the motivation part that is the problem. Birds kept on tie-cords and pens in yard will also have some conditioning issues.

Have you gotten any of your birds to fly up on the perch on que? That will be the challenge. I can get them to go 8 feet up but training time more than most keepers of games likely to invest. Getting them to go higher is likely more a measure of the keeper than the bird itself as most in good feather should be able to go 20' vertical when properly motivated. It is the motivation part that is the problem. Birds kept on tie-cords and pens in yard will also have some conditioning issues.
No I havent tested any birds yet. Rainy weather ruined my weekend tests.
But I cut the apparatus down to 5 ft - 10 ft adjustable... I think it will be more practical for untrained birds and untrained keepers haha...

I have a few idea for motivation...
-rewards at the top of the perch like food treats or a hen.
-a blinder around the bottom, so he would want to jump up to see what going on
-Or a dummy rooster

I was thinking for competition the keeper would have maybe 3-5 minutes to get his bird to fly... during that time the keepr can use any of the following methods to motivate the bird. I was thinking the keeper could adjust the perch at will, at any point during the session, allowing the rooster to start low and gradually increase height. The highest successful flight will be recorded.

Weight classes may be necessary to keep competition fun and exciting for different classes/breeds.

Keep us posted how your efforts are working. Pet gamehen I trained 6 years ago would fly up now but I would have to be up there as well. Your setup is to flimsy to hold 300 lbs plus a 4.5 lb hen. Hen would be the final straw.

Keep us posted how your efforts are working. Pet gamehen I trained 6 years ago would fly up now but I would have to be up there as well. Your setup is to flimsy to hold 300 lbs plus a 4.5 lb hen. Hen would be the final straw.
haha yea the hen would be the final straw :)

In my aviaries I have 6ft perches and my roosters fly up there several times a day with ease. They will jump up if I am on the ground doing stuff... but getting them to jump when you want them to is completely different, especially outside their normal environment.

I will test it out today and take an updated picture at new height, added the wood perch and tie cord.

Last edited:
Yeah I was thinking that gameness would be might too difficult to test/compete without being illegal and/or cruel. I have one possible solution but I dont know if its an actual measure of gameness. If you refer back to my tug of war contest, (harnessed roosters trying to pull eachother) See image... The one who was stronger or more "game" would be motivated to try push himself closer to the opposing rooster and therefore cross the winning line. If they were truely game I suspect they'd keep pushing forward... if not game they'd stand there and get pulled backwards via the rope and pulley. What do you think about this?
awesome idea.. big bump on this. Have you given it a shot?

I recently built a swinging/hanging perch that straddles two coops... but only one of my roosters will go on it. The other doenst care.. but I suspect if two were trying to taunt eachother on it, it would make for a good one-on-one competition. Its strudy enough for one rooster to balance on it, but it would probably be difficult for two, making for interesting competition... but I need to test it with another rooster that will actually try it out.
has another one been interested yet?

Tug-O-War Aparatus setup... using PVC and old wire spools. I used small dog harnesses for each rooster and they hated it. Instead of tugging or warring they just freaked out, falling over trying to get the harness off their bodies. My Modern Game looked like a fish out water. The American game I used calmed down after a bit but not enough to want to pull. First attempt was a failure but with a little training I think it would work.. The machine should work fine, there is very little friction and the sandbags kept everything taught. Its the roosters that need training and/or a pre-tug warm up to get them excited. A lighter harness might help as well. Modern freaking out.
tried it with a leg strap yet?

Mr. S.P. INVENTED THIS

here is an other idea i saw. Not mine but very neat!!. Hen goes on top on lil teather. And rooster just runs the turning barrel. And if you put another barrel on the other side. 'Then both rooster can run to the hen '
man this is awesome! Ima have to try and build this

awesome idea.. big bump on this. Have you given it a shot?
Havent gotten around to training them any more. Training the roosters to feel comfortable with a harness and having a partner to help seems to be the keep to making this work. I am rebuilding this apparatus out of metal to be more rigid and I am going to use actually pulleys to reduce friction. Ill keep everyone posted.

tried it with a leg strap yet?
I dont want tug on the legs... the point of this competition is to test leg strength and toe grip. I think the body harness is the way to go... I was even considering harnessing around the wings so they couldnt try to fly.. I envision them leaning forward, hackle out, making slow strong steps forward (or toe gripping backward if they are losing).

Back
Top Bottom