Six Day Old Chick- Lethargic, dying.

KindleTay

Chirping
Mar 20, 2022
Hi everyone-

I know this is not the first post about a lethargic chick- but I can’t quite get an answer anywhere.

My 6 day old barred rock chick (by characteristics I’ve sexed her as female) is likely not going to make it. This isn’t my first time raising chicks but I’ve changed just about everything from the last time I did them, last spring. I use the medical pads for bedding now to eliminate chicks eating pine shavings, which happened last year. I switched from a heat lamp to a radiant heat source for the brooder, and I've made their brooder much bigger.

We just got 24 chicks last night, which were 5 days old. We bought them from someone about an hour and a half away so it was quite a trip. I brought them home and made sure the warmer tray was working and that I put it at the right height. The instructions said not to allow any chick's head to touch the warmer plate, so I raised it to the second setting (out of three) because my biggest chick had to duck under it. The brooder had been warming up for about 20 hours before putting the chicks in it. I filled their water with hydro-hen for the night just to make sure we weren't going to have any dehydrated chicks, set up their food, and dipped a few of their heads in the water to show them where it was at.

I lost so many chicks to pasty butt last year because I didn't know anything about it. Every time I started to treat them for it, it was too late- they were already lethargic and gasping in the brooder. I was determined to do everything "right" this time!

When transferring the chicks from the box to the brooder, I checked butts. Anyone that was clean could go in, and anyone that even a hint of dried poo stayed in the box for cleaning. Out of the 24, I had 11 that needed to be washed. I think about 6 truly had pasty butt, and it was BAD. Probably about 1/2 inch of dried feces glued to their vents. I put vegetable oil on a q-tip and gently applied it to their vent and anywhere the poop was attached to them, and put them in the box together. I took them one by one and ran their bottoms under Luke-warm but slightly warmer water, dried gently with a towel, and then blew-dry them on low until they were puffy again and put them in a new, clean box. I'd bring them back to the brooder in batches of 3-4 so they didn't get too cold just waiting for everyone to join them. A few them did projectile poo as soon as the dried clump of poo washed away from their vent. After almost 2 hours of washing and drying, everyone was in the brooder and eating, drinking, and finding warmth. Everyone was lively and I felt so accomplished for catching it before it was problem.

This morning around 9 am I lifted up the brooder warmer plate just to check on anyone under it that I might not have seen yet this morning. There was one that didn't scurry away and just stayed there. My heart sank. I tried to give it a few drops of water and egg yolk but it wouldn't accept it, and I didn't want to drown her. She did take a bit of water but that was it.

When I took her out of the brooder, she felt cold. Like, her down wasn't warm from the plate. I don't know if maybe it is too high? Or if she was cold because she was dying. I am 100% certain that she was one I had washed last night because there was still an oily appearance to her tail end. She didn't perk up when I warmed her in my hands or my shirts, she just relaxed and kind of accepted that she was going to sleep until the end....

She did finally die in my hand/on my (pregnant) belly as I wrote this out. It never gets easier!

My question, I guess, is... Is the warmer plate too far from the bottom of the brooder? Or was it likely her suffering from the effects of pasty butt? Or something else?Everyone else is lively and chirping, they are mostly under the warming plate but they do ZOOM out from under it to get food and water and socialize. My house is about 68 degrees most of the day, I don't think it drops below 65. I can't help but think that I should lower the plate for now until they get a little bit bigger, but I also don't want to dehydrate and overheat all my chicks. Maybe after this batch of chicks I'll be a professional and just know everything!

Thanks for sticking with me!

Attachments

• 144D823F-2115-4DBC-907B-98AB11537A69.jpeg
    144D823F-2115-4DBC-907B-98AB11537A69.jpeg
    588.1 KB · Views: 57
Hi everyone-

I know this is not the first post about a lethargic chick- but I can’t quite get an answer anywhere.

My 6 day old barred rock chick (by characteristics I’ve sexed her as female) is likely not going to make it. This isn’t my first time raising chicks but I’ve changed just about everything from the last time I did them, last spring. I use the medical pads for bedding now to eliminate chicks eating pine shavings, which happened last year. I switched from a heat lamp to a radiant heat source for the brooder, and I've made their brooder much bigger.

We just got 24 chicks last night, which were 5 days old. We bought them from someone about an hour and a half away so it was quite a trip. I brought them home and made sure the warmer tray was working and that I put it at the right height. The instructions said not to allow any chick's head to touch the warmer plate, so I raised it to the second setting (out of three) because my biggest chick had to duck under it. The brooder had been warming up for about 20 hours before putting the chicks in it. I filled their water with hydro-hen for the night just to make sure we weren't going to have any dehydrated chicks, set up their food, and dipped a few of their heads in the water to show them where it was at.

I lost so many chicks to pasty butt last year because I didn't know anything about it. Every time I started to treat them for it, it was too late- they were already lethargic and gasping in the brooder. I was determined to do everything "right" this time!

When transferring the chicks from the box to the brooder, I checked butts. Anyone that was clean could go in, and anyone that even a hint of dried poo stayed in the box for cleaning. Out of the 24, I had 11 that needed to be washed. I think about 6 truly had pasty butt, and it was BAD. Probably about 1/2 inch of dried feces glued to their vents. I put vegetable oil on a q-tip and gently applied it to their vent and anywhere the poop was attached to them, and put them in the box together. I took them one by one and ran their bottoms under Luke-warm but slightly warmer water, dried gently with a towel, and then blew-dry them on low until they were puffy again and put them in a new, clean box. I'd bring them back to the brooder in batches of 3-4 so they didn't get too cold just waiting for everyone to join them. A few them did projectile poo as soon as the dried clump of poo washed away from their vent. After almost 2 hours of washing and drying, everyone was in the brooder and eating, drinking, and finding warmth. Everyone was lively and I felt so accomplished for catching it before it was problem.

This morning around 9 am I lifted up the brooder warmer plate just to check on anyone under it that I might not have seen yet this morning. There was one that didn't scurry away and just stayed there. My heart sank. I tried to give it a few drops of water and egg yolk but it wouldn't accept it, and I didn't want to drown her. She did take a bit of water but that was it.

When I took her out of the brooder, she felt cold. Like, her down wasn't warm from the plate. I don't know if maybe it is too high? Or if she was cold because she was dying. I am 100% certain that she was one I had washed last night because there was still an oily appearance to her tail end. She didn't perk up when I warmed her in my hands or my shirts, she just relaxed and kind of accepted that she was going to sleep until the end....

She did finally die in my hand/on my (pregnant) belly as I wrote this out. It never gets easier!

My question, I guess, is... Is the warmer plate too far from the bottom of the brooder? Or was it likely her suffering from the effects of pasty butt? Or something else?Everyone else is lively and chirping, they are mostly under the warming plate but they do ZOOM out from under it to get food and water and socialize. My house is about 68 degrees most of the day, I don't think it drops below 65. I can't help but think that I should lower the plate for now until they get a little bit bigger, but I also don't want to dehydrate and overheat all my chicks. Maybe after this batch of chicks I'll be a professional and just know everything!

Thanks for sticking with me!
I'm so sorry! 😔 Do you have a thermometer in the brooder?

How are the rest pooping?

@KindleTay

A heat plate heats through contact which means it has to be low enough that it touches their backs. Usually for chicks less than a week about 3” off the ground is where they can reach. I set mine at an angle so they can adjust with the back end being 3” from the ground and the front being about 5-6”. Every week I adjust accordingly to how big my chicks are.

A heat plate heats through contact which means it has to be low enough that it touches their backs. Usually for chicks less than a week about 3” off the ground is where they can reach. I set mine at an angle so they can adjust with the back end being 3” from the ground and the front being about 5-6”. Every week I adjust accordingly to how big my chicks are.
I was going to get one that will angle online, but found this one in store so I didn’t have to pay or wait for shipping. It states it must be placed flat and not make contact with any of the chicks, so I don’t know. I’m considering just getting the one I wanted originally as this one is hard to see under without lifting it out of the brooder, and I like the idea of there being a range of chicks that can fit under it tilted!

From what i’ve read, the warming plate should touch their backs. I would suggest putting a thermometer in the brooder.
When I check the temp under the heat source, it is 93 degrees. So it doesn’t seem that anyone thinks it was just too late to treat the pasty butt in this chick?

I'm so sorry! 😔 Do you have a thermometer in the brooder?

How are the rest pooping?

@KindleTay
Thanks… the temp is 93 under the heat source. They are all fine and pooping plenty as far as I can tell. No one is pasty and everyone is chirping and lively, no one looks cold or too hot. They move in and out of the heat and stay out of the heat for extended periods of time so I didn’t think they were all cold. I did forget to mention that this chick was also noticeably the smallest of the batch although the same age. I didn’t notice it was her until I was looking for the “tiny” one after she passed.

From my knowledge you can’t really treat pasty butt except wash with warm water when you notice it.

I might’ve missed it, what do you feed them?
https://www.purinamills.com/chicken.../pasty-butt-sick-baby-chick-symptoms-and-care
By treating I just meant unplugging their vents by washing them gently! Like I said I’ve only had them for less than 24 hours so I don’t think it’s related to the food, but I’ve been giving them the Dumor starter crumbles, and switched out their electrolyte water back to plain water this morning. It seemed like they were pretty warm in the set up the guy I bought them from had, and almost half of the chicks having pasty butt kind of confirmed that in my head. When I asked how long they had been like that he said he never looked for that but it’s “normal,” which I know it’s not.

By treating I just meant unplugging their vents by washing them gently! Like I said I’ve only had them for less than 24 hours so I don’t think it’s related to the food, but I’ve been giving them the Dumor starter crumbles, and switched out their electrolyte water back to plain water this morning. It seemed like they were pretty warm in the set up the guy I bought them from had, and almost half of the chicks having pasty butt kind of confirmed that in my head. When I asked how long they had been like that he said he never looked for that but it’s “normal,” which I know it’s not.
Hmm, it could be due to stress due to the breeder…. considering he had other chicks with pasty butt. It’s normal for chicks to sometimes i have it as their systems are brand new.

I had one chick that died on me too, only a couple days old. So I know your heartbreak💔.
I think your heat is just fine, just adjust the pad as they grow.

Attachments

• D905D131-564C-405B-AF88-781DA3D79FF6.png
    D905D131-564C-405B-AF88-781DA3D79FF6.png
    708.6 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom