New Opportunities for Gamefowl

So you are looking to transform the birds into endurance athletes. I liked the treadmill option as that allowed for a more natural gate. It would be difficult to setup for sprinting.

I also like the treadmill one better... The wheel one seems stressful... When the rooster tries to stop it keeps rolling him up backwards. Its probably great core exercise for him though.

There are only a few physical qualities that an athlete is required to possess.

Strength
Endurance
Dexterity (agility, balance etc)
Speed

With chickens we could probably add Flight.
For gamefowl we probably need to add Gameness.

If there was a Gamefowl Olympics I would like to see a competition for each of these qualities... or some combination of these qualities. I think events that combines 2 or 3 of these qualities would be better as to prevent specialized breeding... For example a treadmill competition would only test endurance, therefore a breeder would breed specialized running chickens which may or may not possess the other qualities we like to see in gamefowl.

I also like the treadmill one better... The wheel one seems stressful... When the rooster tries to stop it keeps rolling him up backwards. Its probably great core exercise for him though.

There are only a few physical qualities that an athlete is required to possess.

Strength
Endurance
Dexterity (agility, balance etc)
Speed

With chickens we could probably add Flight.
For gamefowl we probably need to add Gameness.

If there was a Gamefowl Olympics I would like to see a competition for each of these qualities... or some combination of these qualities. I think events that combines 2 or 3 of these qualities would be better as to prevent specialized breeding... For example a treadmill competition would only test endurance, therefore a breeder would breed specialized running chickens which may or may not possess the other qualities we like to see in gamefowl.
Treadmill could only test endurance on foot which would very with speed of treadmill. Another measure of endurance could be distance of flight and speed could also be measured on flight. Running speed would be very difficult to promote unless birds could be trained to chase something. Fear is too difficult to standardize as a motivator. Strength could be measured in multiple ways. Once would simply be the ability to produce a vertical flight which is more akin to a long jump. Leg strength would be more difficult. Agility test could be in the form of some sort of obstacle course. Birds would have to be trained more than I currently do.

To keep the well rounded qualities, think decathlon.

Measuring gameness would not be allowed.

Treadmill could only test endurance on foot which would very with speed of treadmill. Another measure of endurance could be distance of flight and speed could also be measured on flight. Running speed would be very difficult to promote unless birds could be trained to chase something. Fear is too difficult to standardize as a motivator. Strength could be measured in multiple ways. Once would simply be the ability to produce a vertical flight which is more akin to a long jump. Leg strength would be more difficult. Agility test could be in the form of some sort of obstacle course. Birds would have to be trained more than I currently do.

To keep the well rounded qualities, think decathlon.

Measuring gameness would not be allowed.
Yeah I was thinking that gameness would be might too difficult to test/compete without being illegal and/or cruel.

I have one possible solution but I dont know if its an actual measure of gameness. If you refer back to my tug of war contest, (harnessed roosters trying to pull eachother) See image...

The one who was stronger or more "game" would be motivated to try push himself closer to the opposing rooster and therefore cross the winning line. If they were truely game I suspect they'd keep pushing forward... if not game they'd stand there and get pulled backwards via the rope and pulley.

What do you think about this?

Still not a measure of gameness but would be outright measure of pulling power which with well matched contestants be a measure of endurance. Qualities for competing successfully would not require gameness at any level. I like that one.

I picture something exactly like that, except, instead of having the roosters pulling against each other, you could have them pulling against vertical pulleys with weights. Maybe a weight that pinches a rubber band that snaps loose indicating a lift, or some sort of electrical switch that could light up. The weight couldn't pass the vertical pulley, therefore the roosters couldn't advance past a certain point. This would insure safety. In a way, this would test gameness, because the whole incentive to pull would be to get to the opposing rooster. Not a real test though, because they might just want to get over there to see if he had anything good to eat. I wish I was good at using graphics like Jshubin, I could illustrate.

I picture something exactly like that, except, instead of having the roosters pulling against each other, you could have them pulling against vertical pulleys with weights. Maybe a weight that pinches a rubber band that snaps loose indicating a lift, or some sort of electrical switch that could light up. The weight couldn't pass the vertical pulley, therefore the roosters couldn't advance past a certain point. This would insure safety. In a way, this would test gameness, because the whole incentive to pull would be to get to the opposing rooster. Not a real test though, because they might just want to get over there to see if he had anything good to eat. I wish I was good at using graphics like Jshubin, I could illustrate.

Gameness, aggression, brute strength, ability to pull are all different measures. Owing to design of event, the latter three will effect outcome long before gameness comes into play unless a competitor is majority lacking in the first which be hard to find even something like silliness.

I picture something exactly like that, except, instead of having the roosters pulling against each other, you could have them pulling against vertical pulleys with weights. Maybe a weight that pinches a rubber band that snaps loose indicating a lift, or some sort of electrical switch that could light up. The weight couldn't pass the vertical pulley, therefore the roosters couldn't advance past a certain point. This would insure safety. In a way, this would test gameness, because the whole incentive to pull would be to get to the opposing rooster. Not a real test though, because they might just want to get over there to see if he had anything good to eat. I wish I was good at using graphics like Jshubin, I could illustrate.
I see your point about safety.. I just think that two roosters pullings eachother is a lot more entertaining... Its like a drag race... how boring would a drag race be if only one car went at a time?

I am a computer geek.. I was ashamed of those graphics. lol but they work to get the point across.

Design appears suitable for controlling distance between birds as is. Would also enable a consistent stimulus. Distance from stimulus might impact effort put forth by birds where closer means more effort. If weights used instead, then you would have another measure of effort which will vary between birds as much as strength and ability.

With the tug of war model, you would have the looser getting pulled into a pulley, or if the thing wasn't built right he could get around it and then they could get together. The shorter the ropes the closer they are going to be to getting a tailfeather wrapped in a pulley, and the longer they are the more chance of an excited bird getting tangled in the line. The weighted design would have two going toward each other, using their aggression as the drive for pulling. Furthermore, it would allow handicapping, as well as a measurement of pulling force that could be used for records, statistics and the like.

With the tug of war model, you would have the looser getting pulled into a pulley, or if the thing wasn't built right he could get around it and then they could get together. The shorter the ropes the closer they are going to be to getting a tailfeather wrapped in a pulley, and the longer they are the more chance of an excited bird getting tangled in the line. The weighted design would have two going toward each other, using their aggression as the drive for pulling. Furthermore, it would allow handicapping, as well as a measurement of pulling force that could be used for records, statistics and the like.

As with similar human events weight classes could reduce need for handicap. That is already standard with original repurposing of games. Setup would need to be well constructed and should be easy to keep feathers clear of and also prevent birds from getting together. You also find if distance between competitors is not standardized you may have trouble with one or both getting into pulling mindset.

The ability to measure force part is a very strong argument for your concept. Maybe both events would give a better all-around better assessment.

Back
Top Bottom