New owner, really sick hen... HELP!

akpeeps

Songster
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
Hi,
We got our first chickens just 4 months ago, and 4 more just last month. The sick one is one of the new hens about 11 mos. old. All were healthy when I picked them up. She started looking lethargic last week but was eating and drinking. Just the past two days she really started having trouble moving around, seemed weak, but could get in and out of the the coop. Last night I found her outside the coop just laying there barely able to move with her head down. I put her in the coop last night. I just checked her and she hasn't move from where I put her and although she's still alive, she barely lifted her head. She's lost weight and her breast bone is very prominent. She doesn't appear to have runny droppings and nothing is caked up around her vent. I haven't a clue about what to look for ot what to do for her.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Gayle

gosh..i dont know what to tell you..maybe..bring her in the house..keep her warm enough...see if she will eat anything?..keep us posted..Wendy

It is best to separate her from the rest of the flock. This will prevent disease transmission and also give you a chance to better observe her. Is it hot there? Force some fluids into her (electrolyes/pedialyte is best). Offer yogurt and scrambled egg. Let us know progress.

describe droppings..color and consistency.

check crop..you'll find it near the bottom of the neck at top of breast, slightly to the right..feels like a little sac..
if she's not eating it should be empty, or flat..
feel for any lumps, or if it's hard like a balloon, or soft and squishy..

has she laid an egg lately?
what's the weather like there?
has she been wormed or treated for mites?
is she hunched up like she's cold?
is she panting?

listen for any wheezing.

keep her somewhere warm and safe where you can watch her.
keep food and water, with electrolytes (commercial Avian electrolytes are best..but diluted pedialyte in a pinch)
if you have to "force" water..give by drops on beak..don't pour down the throat..
keep giving her water to keep her hydrated.

will wait for your reply.

Thank for the replys so far. I've brought her in and I've gotten a little water in her. No pedialyte, hubby went to get some. She won't try to eat.

What am I looking/feeling for to know if she's an internal layer?

Weather here is mild. 40-50's at night, upper 50's-60's daytime. Her breathing is okay but weak, no sign of respiratory problems.

She's just extremely weak, and I don't think she'll last the night.
Sigh, I gotta try though.

Gayle

* Make a thin, warm, wet mash of food and water or the pedialyte and give her some by eyedropper into the side of her beak. *Let her swallow by herself*. That way she gets a little food and fluid at the same time. Keep it warm by putting a very small container into one slightly larger with hot water in it.

Last edited:
Good evening everyone.
I'm afraid the outcome with my hen wasn't good. We got some fluids into her and she perked up a bit but she died some time during the night.
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

I'm a bit bummed as she was one of my favorites. I wish I knew what happened. I keep second guessing and wondering if I could/should have done something different.

Thank you to everyone that offered advice.
Gayle

You could have a necropsy done by an Avian vet. Watch the other birds and if they start to get sick, you should find out what's going on. Here in Indiana, Purdue University will do a necropsy for $50. You could probably contact your state vet to find one...(?)

Too bad about losing your bird. Its always a bummer...

Back
Top Bottom