New place has foxes

starchicky

Songster
8 Years
Sep 14, 2013
Oregon
We are moving and supposedly the new place has foxes that have killed chickens before. I haven't dealt with foxes before, only possums and raccoons which have never attacked my chickens so far.

I will be building a new coop, but I was going to do some kind of temporary thing before it's built. Now I'm worried that won't be enough to keep out foxes. There is a barn, but I'm assuming the foxes can dig under that?

We will eventually be getting a dog, but not right away.

We are moving and supposedly the new place has foxes that have killed chickens before. I haven't dealt with foxes before, only possums and raccoons which have never attacked my chickens so far.

I will be building a new coop, but I was going to do some kind of temporary thing before it's built. Now I'm worried that won't be enough to keep out foxes. There is a barn, but I'm assuming the foxes can dig under that?

We will eventually be getting a dog, but not right away.
If there is no floor to the barn, yes fox will be able to tunnel in. I would get fencing (hardware cloth or chain link) and lay it out a foot or so around the barn, nailed securely to the barn, so they can't dig in. or you can bury fencing into the ground around the barn if you feel like working that hard lol

How big is the barn...is it huge or a small shed like deal?
Pics would help if you've got 'em.
How many birds do you have?

It is very large two story barn. I have 9 chickens currently.
Screenshot_20170901-160846.png

Most of us coexist with foxes, coyotes, raccoons, etc, and with care, things go pretty well. Usually. Having a very safe coop and run will fix 90% of the issues, because night time predation is the worst! Also, when dealing with a daytime predator, having enough safe space to lock up the birds is essential.
Free ranging chickens is a quality of live issue for them, IMO, although there will be losses to predation. Electric poultry fencing, and guard dogs, are both hugely helpful, if practical for the flock owner. Neither can be done on my farm, unfortunately. Mary

Back
Top Bottom