New predator: Great Horned Owl. Will it eat chickens or ducks?

We have barred owls that nest in our hollow tree every year. The adults don't really bother the chickens, but the babies sure do - they like an easy meal!

31698_p1020030.jpg

I have a neighbor that has guinea hens that roost in her trees on their property. Owls used to get them on a regular basis. I had a Red Tail Hawk hover over me and my little 9 lb. dog screeching. It was freaky to say the least!
hide.gif
We also have Bald Eagles and Osprey. The river is across the street, so luckily they have other hunting opportunities close by.

I know this thread is kinda old, but I was surprised to learn that not only do GHO eat and kill ducks, but they CAN carry them off, especially smaller breeds. One got a mallard and a gadwall recently who were both a little smaller than normal, but much heavier than the owl. They couldn't carry it far, but they were able to move them to trees where they cached and fed on them.

Several years ago decapitated ducks were being found in Central Park. After the hub bub about the "Satanist Cult" died down, biologists determined that a GHO was the culprit. I have seen GHO fly away with bantam hens, but they are not able to carry larger fowl.

Yep, caught one in the act tonight... had a family emergency and couldn't get home before dark to shut the door on the coop. As I pulled into the drive (it had only been dark for 45 minutes) I saw an owl fly off from a spot on the ground near the coop and found one of my runner hens dead and headless.

great horn owl will kill alot grown geese ,peafowl ,turkey, skucks coons, cats, small dogs. but during the night or dusk/dawn. so your chicken would be easy picking if roosting outside.

Quote:
X 2 I am always careful to make sure my birds are inside at night since they will attract predators and once they're around they are harder to discourage.

Back
Top Bottom