New problem w/ RIR chick - "air bubble" on neck, near wing?

My chick has the same thing. It is barely two weeks old, and there was a time where it had almost died. It now has this bubble thing on its neck. What should i do?
Welcome to BYC. Make sure that it's not the chicken's crop that is on the upper right side of it's chest--it will be full after a big meal, then go down. Sometimes chicks can get injured and get a leaking air sac called subcutaneous emphysema under the skin. If it is air, you can stick an 18 gauge needle in just under the skin and withdraw the air. Here is a link with a picture of the crop: http://www2.ca.uky.edu/poultryprofi.../Chapter3_Anatomy_and_Physiology/Chapter3.pdf

Last edited:
@Eggcessive so it is not good for it too keep eating and eating? Is it sort of a sign that it should be full or stop eating?

@Eggcessive so it is not good for it too keep eating and eating? Is it sort of a sign that it should be full or stop eating?
A full crop is very normal for a chick, and they eat 24 hours a day. I just wanted to make sure your were talking about a normal crop, and not an injury to the chest causing a leaky air sac. Sometimes they can look similar.

@Eggcessive okay i just wasnt sure what it was. So I can continue to feed it or should I have a routine feeding?

Just feed the chick 24 hours a day free-feeding. Later when they are older and out of the brooder they will sleep at night, and not need food then.

True, and I've read it many times as well. However, I give grit after the first week in a separate dish due to seeing an 'air bubble' way up high and to the side in a freebie chick once. Almost killed it thinking it was diseased or in misery but gave grit first. Tada! Just saying it may help in this situation as well;-)

Back
Top Bottom