New problem w/ RIR chick - "air bubble" on neck, near wing?

Take the food away from the chick for an hour or two. Make sure they have access to water though. If it goes down, it's the crop. Mine freaked me out a week or so back! Big bald soft patch. Turns out that chicken is just a bit of a pig:)

The crop is very noticeable on chicks in the upper right chest. Subcutaneous emphysema (leaking air sac, windpuff) is a condition where an air sac is injured, and air collects under theskin. If severe, this can cause difficulty breathing, a clicking sound with breathing, or even death. It can be treated with a needle puncture with a 22 gauge needle or larger bore needle in a grown chicken. I would use great caution in performing a needle puncture if the chick is fine, or especially if this could be the crop where food and water is stored.

Last edited:
So is the photo above a picture of a full crop or a leaking air sac? I've got the same thing in my nine week red star who seems to also have an upper respiratory infection.

Hi there, I'm new! My DH and I have seen something similar on a very large chick of ours that just hatched, after needing some assistance. It had pipped early Friday afternoon, started to zip late Friday night, then seemed unable to reposition itself for over 24 hours.

It's banding around inside the incubator now, peeping its head off, but it seems to have a large air or fluid filled bubble at the base of its neck, kind of over its right shoulder.

Is this something to be concerned about, or could we expect it to go away on its own?

Hi there, I'm new! My DH and I have seen something similar on a very large chick of ours that just hatched, after needing some assistance. It had pipped early Friday afternoon, started to zip late Friday night, then seemed unable to reposition itself for over 24 hours.

It's banding around inside the incubator now, peeping its head off, but it seems to have a large air or fluid filled bubble at the base of its neck, kind of over its right shoulder.

Is this something to be concerned about, or could we expect it to go away on its own?
Welcome to BYC. It could be the crop, but a leaking air sac may also be the problem from trauma during hatch. I'm not sure about this, but perhaps the crop could be full of air, too. I would be reluctant to try deflating the air, so I would just watch it, and I hope the chick makes it.

Thanks Eggcessive. This morning she seems much stronger, and the air/fluid bubble seems to have disappeared, hooray!

What's wrong the same thing is happening to mine. I have had her for.4 days everything has been fine until today she wouldn't eat or drink very weak just wants to be held and sleep. I hand feed her water with antibioticz today then she started eatting and then looked sick again and I noticed the bump i don't know what's wrong I also bought grit but I don't think she ate any

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom