New red sex-link comets - when should they start laying

nuchickontheblock

Songster
9 Years
May 16, 2010
south portland, maine
We just got some beautiful little comets from SIL and we love them. They are about 15-16 weeks old. Pretty, friendly, and very funny antics: following us around, trying to get in the house, very curious about everything and run around our fenced in yard all day pecking, scratching and enjoying life.

It seems overnight their combs have grown, faces redder and one of them squatted tonight for me to pick her up.

When does this cross-breed usually start laying? I'm just wondering about setting up the nest boxes - right now they don't have any shavings or anything in them.

Most generally when they do the egg squat,you should be expecting a egg in less then a week.But as for the bigger combs,and redder faces,they are ready to lay sometime now.

I would definantly be getting the boxes ready,and applying fake eggs,just to show them where its done at:D.(Otherwise they may just drop wherever.)

We just got some beautiful little comets from SIL and we love them. They are about 15-16 weeks old. Pretty, friendly, and very funny antics: following us around, trying to get in the house, very curious about everything and run around our fenced in yard all day pecking, scratching and enjoying life.

It seems overnight their combs have grown, faces redder and one of them squatted tonight for me to pick her up.

When does this cross-breed usually start laying? I'm just wondering about setting up the nest boxes - right now they don't have any shavings or anything in them.
Won't be long, within a week or so probably.
Ditto, get those nests ready...but don't let them sleep in them.

Back
Top Bottom