New to chickens, can they be raised in Alaska????

Hey there Ladies, we have arrived!!!
yippiechickie.gif
Oh my Gosh we love Alaska!!!
wee.gif
We were so blessed to find a big wonderful house on 20 acres to rent in Wasilla up off of Lucille. We are so thrilled. The little Susitna river runs right through our land. We have a few neighbors and who seem very nice and helpful. We love our little country heaven right at the base ofthe mountains.
The trip up was a bit rough and money consuming (made the oil guys a little richer for sure). We drove a motor home towing a van as a trailer, 4300 miles in 6 days with 6 kids, 3 dogs and a cat.
Now we're just trying to settle down and learn our way around our new home and town.
Definitly have enough land for Chics, horses and dogs.

How's everyone else bee doing?

Steph

Oh my goodness... you made it!!!
yippiechickie.gif

I was JUST thinking about you yesterday, wondering where you were on your journey. Congratulations! It's beautiful there, isn't it.
smile.png
You must be exhausted... hope you take some time to unwind, and then let's find you some chickens!!!
hugs.gif

Oh thanks gals. We can't unwind yet, Alan meets with guy from job Monday and has already been invited to go fishing on Sunday. He won't unpack...he says he drove us here we can unpack, guess he has a point.
old.gif

Trying to unpack and have been buying stuff to replace stuff we sold or gave away before we moved. Kids are doing great...thankful to be out of the rv after a week straight. Our house has a big reck room downstairs and they are going wild with stored up energy.
wee.gif
Which is nice to see. We had to find a radiator today cause the one in the van broke on the way up.

Got all of the utilities hooked up and running and just trying to make sense of the new mess to sort into it's place. BUT we absolutely LOVE IT HERE. Except for the mosquitos
barnie.gif
and I thought they were Alabama's state bird.

I'm sure we will get to settle down eventually. I know we are gonna love it here for sure.

hu.gif
Huh. Didn't we tell you about the skeetos? aka B-52 bombers... aka the state pterodactyl?

lau.gif

Glad you are settling in. It will be exciting and crazy for a while, but to be expected. I can't wait to hear about your kid's first moose-in-the-yard sighting. Or better yet, a bear! LOL!

You're silly....
lau.gif

We have actually already seen 7 or 8 moose, and one on the glenn hwy coming into palmer there was one that was hit by the rv in front of us and was breathing hard in the middle of the road. We left after a few minutes cause we didn't want to let the kids see something bad. I hope the little guy made it.
fl.gif

We had heard about the sqeeters, but were still surprised. They are so big you can see the hair on them...who knew the little buggers were fuzzy, WOW!

The landlord said moose actually come on the property to give birth, and we have seen lots of moose poop and some bones. And we have seen 3 black bear too but those were on the Alcan coming up.

Still lovin every minute of it...
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Oh, I wouldn't hold my breath about the moose. They usually shoot the ones that get hit and are stil alive, just in case there are internal injuries.
So how far down Lucille are you?
Is there anything on the property you could use for a coop? Are you allowed to have chickens?
Do you need anything? What are you trying to replace? I could at least tell you where to get stuff. Have you found the thrift stores yet?
So many questions I know!

Welcome to Alaska Arcticchicken!

I wish the best for you and your family here in AK. I think there is a little poultry farm near your area. It's called the Burke Family Farm. I've been there a couple times to buy fresh eggs for my family. Otherwise, Tony usually has a lot of chickens, even pigs, at Triple D.

Good Luck!
~Donna

Hi there, Thanks for the welcome!!!
I'll have to see if I can find them for when we're ready. Still lots to do now!

Lovin Alaska
ya.gif
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom