NEW to chickens, have 3 chicks JUST A FEW wonders and WORRIES when they go OUT! THANKS FOR READING

DandDdad

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 6, 2014
Hello as stated im new to chickens, I am single stay/work at home dad of twin 3yr olds. Very happy to get our first chicks (already on ALL ORGANIC starter and want to have HEALTHY eggs for my TWINS!

2 welsummers
1 buff orphington (in picks has black spot on head from breeder for identification)

MY WORRIES AND QUESTIONS... I have read as many of these articles as possible and STILL have a few concerns

I hope to have them free range A LOT, I have already built a coop and run...

NOW THE CONSERN THANKS FOR ANY IMPUT OR HELP

I live in the city and have 6ft high wood fence between neighbors, ALL THE NEIGHBORS are friends and WILL NOT mind if a hen comes over during day. MAIN WORRY IS THAT ONE NEIGHBOR HAS DOGS??????

I understand my birds are large breed but from what I have read they still can get over 6ft fence no problem....WILL THE BIRDS BE "SMART ENOUGH TO AVOID THAT YARD?"

I have considered putting mesh or something over ENTIRE yard but don't want to $ for that PLUS what if birds got caught up in netting????

AGAIN THANKS FOR READ AND ANY TIPS OR INFO YOU HAVE.

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC! You have really cute chicks! I wouldn't worry unless they start flying when there older. I don't think they would avoid the yard unless they saw the dog. Sorry not much advice! I hope all goes well.

Last edited:
ITS SOOO HOT in east county san diego (almost no usable rain in 3 years IT IS AS DRY AS THEY SAY ON TV) I DONT even need a heat lamp on brooder box in day. lol, its 86degrees INSIDE RIGHT NOW IN SEPTEMBER!!!!!! if I turn it on they get lethargic.

MY BUDDY UP THE STREET HATCHED CHICKS UNDER A BROODY HEN AND THEY ARE LIVING IN COOP WITH MOM NO HEATLAMP... ALL LIVING.

STREIGHT NATURAL.

Hello & welcome!
frow.gif
Here's what I have learned: younger chickens can and do fly. Albeit not far, but a 6 ft fence is 'doable'. Having said that, my Welsummers have never shown any inclination to fly........ My suggestion would be this - put up some netting by the 'problem' yard fence. If you can somehow lean it inward to your yard that would work well. It will also be a deterrent to hawks - even in cities hawks take smaller chickens with no problem. Move any/all items that can be used to climb up on from that side of the yard. You can put roost 'swings' on the other side. Please provide areas of cover so they can avoid hawks. When the chickens are older there shouldn't be any flying issues, they simply are too heavy for their wings - a ground-grazing run is about all they can accomplish!
wink.png
you don't say if you live in town, but if you do live in an urban area, be aware that there will already be rats/mice around. So keep feed in a secure bin and remove scraps from the ground at night. The neighbors may be nice now, but if they see a rat, it will be 'because of the chickens next door'. Best o'luck on your adventure
thumbsup.gif
Don't forget to check out the learning center - full of great stuff!!

THANK YOU boskelli, I am in EAST county san diego and we have PLENTY of hawks. SO thanks for the reminder for COPIUS amounts of places to hide...

ONLY QUESTION BY SWINGS WHAT DO YOU MEAN???? ILL GOOGLE NOW? NOT A NORMAL ROOST LIKE A PLAY SWING? LMFAO.

thanks.

Back
Top Bottom