new to chickens

If they are good they will be up walking around perky and should look shiny and shouldn't be in the back of the pen all huddle up and barely moving around and just looks plain ill

Quote:
Sorry - I wasn't trying to scare you! Unless your heart is set on Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds or Orps, just pick one/any of the other breeds. The other breeds aren't as popular and therefore don't tend to be over produced. Another thought is local 4H groups may also have chicks the kids are selling soon as well. Can you have roosters where you live? If not - just remember that the pullet bins have a slight chance of having a male. I was always told to get more chicks then you need in case something happens (you lose one or more) or one or more is male. When we purchased our first chicks - my plan was to have two grown hens. Then I was told you never want to only have two chickens because if one dies then the other will be very unhappy due to being flock birds. So I was going to buy 3 - then was told well get four in case one is male or you lose one..... I guess what I am trying to say is get one for each child and at least one "for back-up" :)

Back
Top Bottom