New to ducks, no experience

AmnGus

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2017
Hi all, i have ordered six welsh harlequin eggs for hatching and we are hoping to hatch them ourselves in an incubator and keep them as pets to help with the garden and supply us with eggs. If we get more than one drake in this batch then we will likely sell them for meat or preferably as someone's yard ducks. Anyways, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions when they arrive and it's time to incubate but for now I was wondering if and how people wash and store their eggs. I've read that duck eggs are very porous so that makes me wonder if they absorb all the ick that's on them. Also, can they be sanitized in vinegar after washing? Like I said, I'm new. This will be our first foray into any sort of homesteady thing. Thanks so much for the help!

Do you store them in the fridge after washing or just out on the counter? I've heard of you remove the "bloom" then they have to go in the fridge.

They are fine on the counter for a while. I always put mine in the fridge after they dry. Don't wash hatching eggs. Only eating eggs get washed.

Last edited:
It seams as though everyone is confused by your question...;)

I fully understood you..:)

Your Duck eggs you are going to eat can be washed off a bit and stored in the fridge..I never wash Eggs unless they are real dirty..:)...Everyone who gets my eggs for eating know to wash their own eggs..;)....

Best of luck with your Hatching eggs...:)

Cheers!

Mine get washed quick with water - my ducks like to make a mess of eggs.
Then they get dated and put in a dish on the counter. We don't usually go through all their eggs, so after a few weeks, we toss the old ones.

I have never had issues with my girls laying anywhere too messy so aside from some dirt on outside, I usually just put them in a basket until we are about to use them and then wash right before use. I am not a fan of refrigerating eggs if I can avoid it. They stay creamier and whisk better at room temperature. Not a fan of cold eggs even uncooked. I had never heard of them being more porous, I know they are waxy feeling on outside and I would consider a chicken egg more porous but cannot say for sure. I do think you are braver than I, when we first tried Ducks, we got them as ducklings instead of attempting to hatch them ourselves. Our only issue was getting them straight run and ended up with 4 drakes and 1 duck. The next time around we got them from farm that has them sexed to avoid that. I would be interested in hearing about your experience with hatching. Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom