New to goats.

kada6305

Songster
6 Years
Mar 13, 2013
Kersey, Pennsylvania
Mu husband and I plan on getting 2 goats this summer. We plan on fencing off 3 pastures, not sure of the dimensions yet but we have 5 acres so they will be pretty big. I will add photo of the plan I drew up. the main fence will have a roof to keep predator out, like coyotes. Will also have a lean shelter. each fence will have a gate leading to the next and we will alternate between the other two gated fences. Will also give free range tied to a tire while we are outside to watch. and caring for animals and such. Plan on getting 2 females. 1 for milking other just for pet so not sure of breeds yet. thee fencing I plan on using is field fencing. There will be three rows of barbed wire as well. On bottom to keep from digging, middle and top to keep from escaping hopefully. The goats I plan on getting anywhere from 8 wks to 1 year. Can I get lets say a 8 wk old and a 8 month old and keep them together without any problems? or would the older one hurt the younger? I need to learn about feeding. If anyone could tell me about other things I need to do, vaccines, food, and what about the different licks there are to get? Anything else I need to do to prepare? What about winter care? We have chickens and Ducks so I am not 100% new about keep animals outside during the winter.

I plan on feeding fermented feed along with fodder as I do with my chickens. Just not sure what kind of feed to get? anything special? I say there were bags of mineral supplements and I think maybe vitamin supplements as well, do i need those?of so how much??

If I were you I would not give fermented feed to goats. They ferment feed just fine in their rumens. Goats should be given good quality hay, a salt block and a mineral mix suitable for what they are being fed. The mineral mix for goats being fed primarily alfalfa or some other legume hay whould be different than for goats being fed grass hay. Young stock and goats in milk and late pregnancy need some grain.

Back
Top Bottom