New to hatching Peafowl eggs--Help!

Doug is so right on a incubator , the higher price incubator , the less trouble to hatch peafowl eggs.

myself i have many types , with the sportsman i have found laying them on their sides and using the auto turner and hand turn, give better hatch rate. Hatchrite incubator eggs are layed on their side and eggs roll to turn, it also has auto humdity control , great hatch without trouble.

With other incubators , you may need to try other ways........eggs don't need turned last 3 days(doesn't hurt if they are) so most are placed in hatchers at that time.

I am so disappointed! I put 4 peafowl eggs in the incubator, 1 was not fertile so out it went, then the three left were chirping last night. I got up this morning and two of the eggs werent moving or chirping. One was chirping. I used a toothpick to try and pic the shell off to see if that was the problem and low and behold the two not moving anymore were dead. The other one I picked the shell off and it is still alive.(almost an hour ago) I have been waiting for it to dry alittle to put it in under the heatlamp but its not drying. Should I still put it in there? Also one of its legs is not flaying like the other what does this mean if anything. Am I just panicing or what? Some one please help!!!!!

I have some questions -

1. If you get shipped peafowl eggs do you still let them rest or put them in the incubator when they arrive since it's hot outside?

2. If I want to hand turn the peafowl eggs how do I let the air cell get back in place?

3. Whats the humidity spose to be?

let eggs set small end down, so it help air cell return to the large end, in a cool area , about 8 hours.

In nature the shape of the eggs , lets the air cell stay at large end of egg .when they lay on their side. Oval shape so large end stays up...

Not sure reason setting under a hen the first week help, thinking maybe because she turns them alot.....but it does help.

With proper control incubator that turn once an hour ,maybe no need for broody hens.

Quote:
Yes. Yes to both. When it is hot outside, you can place them pointy end down in the incubator (on a turner that is turned off or a cup or something) and let them sit still IN the incubator (turned on) for the first day. If it is very hot they may have started incubation during shipping and letting them cool and rest for a day outside the incubator can kill them.

Quote:
By the above method, but in nature eggs are on their sides and the air cell obviously doesn't detach then, so it's ok to have them on their sides.

Quote:
We use about 50%

Hello:

I need help. This is my first time having peafowl eggs and don't know how to start and why type of incubator to buy. Please help.
Thank you,
Sam

Hello:

I need help. This is my first time having peafowl eggs and don't know how to start and why type of incubator to buy. Please help.
Thank you,
Sam

Hello Sam. Welcome to BYC. Need more info to help you out here. Do you already have the Peacock eggs you plan to incubate? If you do, do you know the dates they were laid? They are time sensitive and the longer between laying and incubating the less chance of a good hatch. I feel anything over 10 days old is pushing your luck. Do you have experience incubating other types of eggs? What kind? What incubator did you use? Do you have any incubator at all? I use a small Styrofoam hovabator genesis, and have been very pleased with it. Don't bother with the auto turner, I tried it and the Pea eggs were so heavy the arms snapped off the auto-turner, now I'm the auto-turner 3xdaily.
welcome-byc.gif

I agree with a styrofoam hovabator. I have two for hatching peafowl eggs and I love them! I turn the eggs 5 or more times, but as long as you turn them more than once a day you should be good.

If you have peahens and they are penned, you can let them incubate the eggs for you and it will save you the worry of hatching out your first peafowl eggs. The peahens wait until they have laid a full clutch (around 6 eggs in one area) and then they will sit on the eggs. They are great mothers.

ok if humidity is 50% to incubate, I thought it was 90% to hatch, read here that it should be 70-75%, so which is better???
Then what temp/humidity is best for them after hatch??? how long do you leave them in the incubator before moving them to where ever you move them, for us its a dog crate with a heat lamp...???

Back
Top Bottom