NEW TO PIGEONS... ANY ADVICE?!

GOLDENSEABRIGHT

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 4, 2014
Hey, I am new to pigeoms and i was wonder a couple of things.
1) Can i put two different breeds in one coop?
2) Will jacobins return to their coop after flying?
3) How tall should a pen be for only one or two pair.
I have tried researching these things but no luck. Please reply with answers.
- GS

Hey, I am new to pigeoms and i was wonder a couple of things.
1) Can i put two different breeds in one coop? Yes, but the breeds will cross if allowed.
2) Will jacobins return to their coop after flying? Jacobins are an ornamental breed. I would not let this breed range freely. Their vision is quite compromised and they would be easy picking for predators. Their flight ability is questionable.
3) How tall should a pen be for only one or two pair. Jacobins-high enough so they can exercise, stretch their wings, fly.
I have tried researching these things but no luck. Please reply with answers.
- GS
It has been many years since I had jacobin pigeons; at least 35 years. The birds I had flew very little. They are beautiful. If you do decide to get more than one breed, choose breeds that are not aggressive. Fantails, pouters, etc.

Parlors start laying at three months old, Jacobins about seven months old.
I trimmed my Jacobins and trained them to free fly and they looked ungainly like bats more than birds flying.. Their landing sucks though. Lol

Hey, thinking about buying some blue sultan pigeons, or it is what this guy calls them, anybody have any advice?

Jacobins are really poor flyers... this is because they have been bred to have long feathers, not only the fluffy ones around their neck and head, but also their flight and tail feathers are longer than normal pigeons.. and quite thin.. so not it makes them wobbly and weak flyers.

If they get out the coop they will come back just the same as other pigeon breeds, but they are at hight risk from predators as they can't see well due to the feathers around their faces, and they are so weak flying.

I always build my coop / aviary at least 6 foot high, otherwise you will have to duck you head to walk around in there. Don't make it so high they you can't reach the top.. otherwise you won't be able to clean high up or catch the pigeons easily.

I keep many breeds in the same coop. But I don't allow any to hatch eggs in there.. otherwise they will be cross breeds. To breed I select a pair I like and cage them up in a big dog crate in the main coop and let them nest, hatch and eggs and raise their squabs.. then let them all out to join the gang.

This works for me as I don't breed them often.. as I have a lot and its difficult to sell the offspring.

I have 12 pair of Jacobin that are very attractive and cool to have but are hard to get fertility. Trim the tail feathers and around the vents. Helps a lot. Mating pens seem to work beat for me 2X2X3foot. If the cocks get pecking on a bird thay will peck it to the skull so watch them. Give deep nest's and a lot of straw or hay. If the jacobin are show quality that have a really tall pinwheel tight to the head, full main and a good hood with a chain that closes on the brest. Good luck with them.

Back
Top Bottom