New to raising chickens...

Wndncr18

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2015
Our family is fairly new to raising chickens. A friend has helped answer some questions along the way, but one of our chickens has even her puzzled and suggested this site. Look forward to looking through this site and learning a lot. We've got 1 Rhode Island Red and 2 Golden Laced Wyandottes (that we raised from day old chicks) for now, but hope to get at least 1 more in the near future.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Good luck with your chickens! If you have any questions, just ask. We'll be happy to help.

Our Rhode Island Red was our first layer and played almost daily, but then she started laying rubber eggs. Our friend suggested she wasn't getting enough calcium to mix oyster shells in with her food. Now we aren't even getting rubber eggs from her. She doesn't know why this is happening, so suggested I check out this website and ask for suggestions. She is only about a year old.

So are you saying that she stopped laying the rubber eggs without the oyster shells? If so, then she might have just had a little glitch in her laying system
lol.png
But definitely make sure she has calcium. Hens need calcium to produce strong and healthy eggshells aside from what they need for their bodies to function properly. Calcium also plays a big role in the contractions of the oviduct and uterus to produce an egg. Without enough calcium hens can become egg bound very easily. Additionally, lack of this nutrient can draw calcium out of her bones resulting in weak bones and sometimes bone breakage.

Can someone help me with what breed of Americauna these are. Thank you in advance for your help!
smile.png

Ameraucana is a/the breed - the "kind" of Ameraucana would be in reference to which color/pattern they would be classified. That aside, the birds pictured are actually Easter Eggers rather than true Ameraucana

Back
Top Bottom