New to turkeys sleepy day olds. Advice please

Aycchicks

In the Brooder
May 5, 2020
Hi all turkey keepers,
Just bought my first turkey poults. I’ve always had chickens. Put them in a new clean brooder and showed them where the water and food is by dipping beaks in (as seen on YouTube). I’ve come to check on them this evening and they’re all look worryingly sleepy under the light. However I accidentally made a loud noise when leaving the shed and they were all up pecking and drinking and then went back under. I’ve left the light high as the thermometer reading is still high at 46c and I cannot move it any higher. They have enough room to be away from the light if needed. Just want reassurance they’re okay. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 94743096-F49C-4403-A949-7AAFDAE57FBC.jpeg
    94743096-F49C-4403-A949-7AAFDAE57FBC.jpeg
    477.9 KB · Views: 5
Hi all turkey keepers,
Just bought my first turkey poults. I’ve always had chickens. Put them in a new clean brooder and showed them where the water and food is by dipping beaks in (as seen on YouTube). I’ve come to check on them this evening and they’re all look worryingly sleepy under the light. However I accidentally made a loud noise when leaving the shed and they were all up pecking and drinking and then went back under. I’ve left the light high as the thermometer reading is still high at 46c and I cannot move it any higher. They have enough room to be away from the light if needed. Just want reassurance they’re okay. Thanks in advance.
I hope that is not correct. 46°C equals 114.8°F. That will kill the poults. I start my poults at 90°F (32.2°C). I measure the temperature at the bedding level. If you set it to get that air temperature, the bedding will be too hot.

I hope that is not correct. 46°C equals 114.8°F. That will kill the poults. I start my poults at 90°F (32.2°C). I measure the temperature at the bedding level. If you set it to get that air temperature, the bedding will be too hot.
the lights already about 50cm high. Should I try to put higher? The brooder box they’re in is large enough so they could walk away....

the lights already about 50cm high. Should I try to put higher? The brooder box they’re in is large enough so they could walk away....
Use a smaller bulb, turn it off until it cools down to a reasonable temperature, etc.

Saying its a big brooder box does not mean anything to me. For it to mean anything I need to know the dimensions. My brooder is 4'x4' with a GQF brooder heater on one side and all the rest of the brooder is unheated. The feed and water is in the unheated area of the brooder.

Use a smaller bulb, turn it off until it cools down to a reasonable temperature, etc.

Saying its a big brooder box does not mean anything to me. For it to mean anything I need to know the dimensions. My brooder is 4'x4' with a GQF brooder heater on one side and all the rest of the brooder is unheated. The feed and water is in the unheated area of the brooder.
Yes I raised it up and now it’s looking much better and holding around 95f. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom