New to Turkeys

Goldenmama

Hatching
Jun 22, 2020
I have one tom and 3 hens of Bourbon reds. The hens laid eggs this early summer and so far one baby has hatched and lived. One hen was protecting it so I separated her and the baby and she is taking good care of it. Another egg hatched and the chick was pecked to death so I check the hens each day to make sure I get them away from the tom. Should I remove the tom from the hens once the eggs are laid (for future reference). another baby hatched but was only half way out and looked dead like it had been stepped on. Another one has hatched but the shell was missing and it was still in the sac so I assumed it was dead but after reading some posts maybe it wasn't. It was a totally formed baby but not moving. I have so much to learn about hatching turkey eggs successfully. Can anyone give me some advice. There are about 10 more eggs so what should I do?

I have one tom and 3 hens of Bourbon reds. The hens laid eggs this early summer and so far one baby has hatched and lived. One hen was protecting it so I separated her and the baby and she is taking good care of it. Another egg hatched and the chick was pecked to death so I check the hens each day to make sure I get them away from the tom. Should I remove the tom from the hens once the eggs are laid (for future reference). another baby hatched but was only half way out and looked dead like it had been stepped on. Another one has hatched but the shell was missing and it was still in the sac so I assumed it was dead but after reading some posts maybe it wasn't. It was a totally formed baby but not moving. I have so much to learn about hatching turkey eggs successfully. Can anyone give me some advice. There are about 10 more eggs so what should I do?
Tom turkeys should not be allowed to have access to the hen's nests. They can do too many bad things starting with trying to mate with the hens while they are sitting on the nests. This usually results in smashed eggs but can also result in injured or at the worst, dead hens. Even after the poults hatch it is smart to keep them isolated from the tom. Some toms can seem to be devoted fathers but they can also snap at any time and start killing the little ones.

Tom turkeys should not be allowed to have access to the hen's nests. They can do too many bad things starting with trying to mate with the hens while they are sitting on the nests. This usually results in smashed eggs but can also result in injured or at the worst, dead hens. Even after the poults hatch it is smart to keep them isolated from the tom. Some toms can seem to be devoted fathers but they can also snap at any time and start killing the little ones.
Thank you so much for that information. I will definitely separate them and maybe we will get more live babies.

It's also interesting that your eggs are not hatching at the same time. Does each hen have it's own nest, or are they sharing. If they are sharing, then some hens may be laying in the nest while another is incubating. Then when the earliest eggs hatch, the hen leaves the nest and abandons the unhatched eggs. Make sure you have sufficient nesting locations.
The other way to increase survival if you have tom trampling problems is too hatch the eggs yourself and raise them in a brooder.

It's also interesting that your eggs are not hatching at the same time. Does each hen have it's own nest, or are they sharing. If they are sharing, then some hens may be laying in the nest while another is incubating. Then when the earliest eggs hatch, the hen leaves the nest and abandons the unhatched eggs. Make sure you have sufficient nesting locations.
The other way to increase survival if you have tom trampling problems is too hatch the eggs yourself and raise them in a brooder.
Wow, that was a long time out. This is your first post in what, 6 years. Welcome back.

Back
Top Bottom