Newbie from CT (despite my screen name)

RoeDylanda

Songster
9 Years
Dec 9, 2010
Central CT
Hello,

I'm a native Rhode Islander happily transplanted to Connecticut and about to start raising chickens for both eggs and meat. Several childhood friends had chickens when I was growing up but I never got much involved besides gathering the eggs, so I'll have some basic questions I'm sure. Currently reading everything I can get my mitts on and starting to sketch coops!

I'm a voracious reader, knitter, Mama, and maternity nurse. Two shelter rescue cats and a rescue coonhound live here too. I used to be a librarian and the Research Gene is pretty strong.

Very pleased to meet you all, this is such a friendly and helpful place!

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to CT and BYC. Central CT?? you are probably near me. I am also a voracious reader - anything but love stories and I've been knitting since I was 7 years old.
I have all of my grandmothers old knitting patterns if your ever looking for something truly unusual.

Chickens are highly addictive - good luck

Thanks, all!

Chickaddict, I'm in the Middletown area. Ditto on the anything-but-love-stories! Thanks for the pattern offer, also. I'm mostly a Ravelry addict these days.

4-H chicken mom, what started this whole thing rolling was wanting my daughter to get involved in 4-H! I'm very excited about raising my own food-- I'm gardening as well, and it's just so much better. Unintended side effect, though, is that my kids now complain about vegetables all winter because they don't taste as good (and I can't really disagree).

I'm trying to make a coop that's small enough to keep the girls warm in winter but big enough to house a few more than planned... just in case!

hey all im in Wolcott. Just now ordering incubator and eggs. I have all the material for a fine coop but am unlcear on how chickens are allowed to forage safely. As I type this Im listening to the coyotes howl outside my window, so predation is growing concern for me. Anyway, I dont knit.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom