Tales From Chickentown

The first egg has hatched! It's an EE mix from the eggs Dad found on the garage floor.
wee.gif

We're up to 5 chicks. 2 bantams, 3 EE's. The first chick that hatched is possibly the fattest, fluffiest chick I've ever seen. It has trouble staying on its feet because it is so heavy that if it loses its balance, it ends up on its back. I am calling it Roly Poly for now.

We're up to 5 chicks. 2 bantams, 3 EE's. The first chick that hatched is possibly the fattest, fluffiest chick I've ever seen. It has trouble staying on its feet because it is so heavy that if it loses its balance, it ends up on its back. I am calling it Roly Poly for now.

Pics?!?!?!?!
wee.gif

October 26, 2014

The chicken-catching gods were on my side today--I managed to scoop up both my black Ameraucana hen and her mutt look-alike--at the same time, no less! I have been trying to catch them for a while so that I could put them in with the Ameraucanas, but they have been too wily to sneak up on. Breakfast time had their minds on food, however, and I was able to grab first the mutt, and then the Ameraucana with my free arm. Needless to say, they were NOT happy!

I'm not worried about the unnamed mutt being in with the purebreds, since I can't breed purebred chicks right now anyway. Besides which, unless she lays true-blue eggs (which is highly unlikely, since her mother is a brown egg layer), I will be able to tell her eggs apart from the rest anyway. If I decide I don't want to hatch her eggs for whatever reason, it will be quite easy to tell them apart. The hens themselves are much harder to distinguish. I've had to tag one of them so that I can keep track of who is my very-valuable purebred Ameraucana, and who is my gorgeous-but-free home grown mutt. Can you tell them apart?

Which one is the mutt and which one is the Ameraucana? Can you tell?

While on the subject of the Ameraucanas, I renamed "Drogo" to "Arya" and "Daario" to "Brienne". Daenerys, of course, remains the same.

The chicks have finished hatching! Out of 17 eggs, I got 14 chicks: only 2 quit early or were clear, and I had one late quitter. All 9 of the garage eggs hatched. I had to help the last bantam hatch because she was breached, but she's doing well now.

My husband has only taken photos of three of the chicks so far, but I plan on taking more pictures tonight--including pics of the lucky leghorn Xiao Yongshi and her dark companion.

Great stories! Made for an interesting read over my morning coffee
smile.png
. Spectacular photography as well!! From the sound of it I'm right at the beginning of your journey myself...don't tell the BF I have plans for that many more chickens though haha he thinks the 30 we have is more than enough
gig.gif

Heehee... Maybe it will end up being like my husband who bought me an incubator for my birthday, and gets me chickens instead of jewelry when he wants to butter me up for something. XD

Back
Top Bottom