Tales From Chickentown

Wow, time gets away from me. So here's the latest news from Chickentown:

We have three broodies at the moment. Anna hatched out 7 beautiful bantam mutts, 5 of which are actually her own eggs! This is her fourth brood, but the first time she's had any of her own chicks to raise. Despite the fact that Anna is a buff bantam cochin, all of the babies she hatched out are black. It sure is easy to tell that the black was a dominant gene! A bantam d'uccle is also sitting on eggs, which are getting close to hatching. She's just finally figuring out that I'm on her side, and has started accepting food and water when I offer it to her in the nest. (I know they get down to feed and drink and poop on their own, but it's the first chance I've had to interact with this girl since she was a baby, and I'm taking it.) A third hen, hatched by our chicken class back in May, started stubbornly sitting on an empty "nest" of burlap sacks in the shed. I gave her about a dozen eggs and transferred her to a pet carrier that I can lock up at night. She is very serious about making these eggs hatch!

A temperature plunge hit most of the country, including Chickentown. As I feared, the shock was too much, and I lost one of my young chicks despite heat lamps and other accommodations. Though I normally resist the temptation to coddle my young chickens, I am seriously considering moving the young chicks inside overnight. Normally I would let them tough out the cold temperatures, but the change was just too abrupt, and even my older chickens are suffering from it. (The chicks under Anna, however, are toasty warm.)

One group of chooks that has weathered the temperature extremes well are the youngsters in April's coop. April is a friend of mine that thought very little of chickens when we met, but after spending time with me and my birds, she quickly became as addicted to chickens as I am. Since they're banned in the town she lives in, she has been unable to keep them at her house, but I agreed to let her set up a coop and start a brood in Chickentown. To start her off, I bought her a standard white cochin for her birthday back in April, which she named Ailis and we kept in the main coop with my flock. A few months later, April bought her chicken coop and ordered her own brood of chicks from MPC. Ailis didn't join her new baby sisters right away because she had grown up around my main flock, and recognized them as her family. I hesitated to remove her from the familiar social surroundings and put her in with a bunch of babies, but it ended up being much easier than I expected. Ailis, as it turns out, is a very sexy little ball of feathers, and the boys were rather relentless in their pursuit of her. One day, tired of seeing poor Ailis getting chased hither, thither, and yon, I scooped her up and put her in with the babies. At last, she would have some relief from the relentless pursuit of the cockerels.

At first, Ailis resented her new surroundings, and fretted constantly to be let out so that she could rejoin the main flock. (I don't know exactly what the sounds she was making meant in Chicken Talk, but I'm pretty sure they weren't polite.) But after she'd been confined with the young brood fora couple of days, Ailis seemed to realize that she had it pretty good in her new digs, free of the harassment she'd suffered in the main flock. When I started letting the babies out to free range, Ailis flocked with them without any further need for coaxing, and would return faithfully to their little coop at night to sleep.

As for the youngsters, they also saw the advantages to having Ailis as a roommate. It didn't take them long to figure out that Ailis was a cuddle bug, and before we knew it, all of the juveniles were squeezing underneath her to sleep at night. That alone was funny enough, but it gets better... Zip, our OEGB rooster, was finally able to join the main flock. Finding the roosters in the main coop too abrasive for his liking, he moved himself into April's coop and... right under Ailis! That's right, Zip, a full grown rooster, cuddles under Ailis too! How is Pipsqueak ever going to take him seriously? The upside is that even with this cold snap, all of the chicks in April's coop (And Zip, too) have been able to keep toasty warm. If only I had a few dozen more Ailis's to go around...

As is the case in most of the country, winter arrived abruptly and with a vengeance. The change was too abrupt for my 5-week-old chicks, and I lost three of them to the cold before deciding I had no choice but to move them back indoors. I've made a makeshift brooder, and will have to keep a close eye on them for escapees or curious household cats.

I hate winter.

I wish my BF would buy me chickens
tongue.png
. This cold snap sure is a huge downer. Sucks that you lost chicks because of it
sad.png
. Hilarious about the grown roo sleeping under the hen though. I would love to see that!

Thanks very much! No more casualties since I moved the babes inside, though my broody hen Anna did lose two of her chicks at some point. I've got her set up in her own private suite now so she's able to keep a closer eye on her brood.

Meanwhile, it has snowed in Chickentown. The inhabitants are not impressed. Suddenly, my main flock has decided they really CAN all fit in the coop after all--only my most stubborn birds continue to roost outdoors. (Best of luck to them, because I'm not climbing any trees to get them down.) My broody d'uccle and barred rock/EE mix are still sitting on eggs. I expect chicks to start appearing under the d'uccle any day now. The BR/EE still has another week or two to go. Hopefully warmer weather will arrive in time to greet their new babies.

Leonard is not impressed by this white nonsense.

Thanks very much! No more casualties since I moved the babes inside, though my broody hen Anna did lose two of her chicks at some point. I've got her set up in her own private suite now so she's able to keep a closer eye on her brood. Meanwhile, it has snowed in Chickentown. The inhabitants are not impressed. Suddenly, my main flock has decided they really CAN all fit in the coop after all--only my most stubborn birds continue to roost outdoors. (Best of luck to them, because I'm not climbing any trees to get them down.) My broody d'uccle and barred rock/EE mix are still sitting on eggs. I expect chicks to start appearing under the d'uccle any day now. The BR/EE still has another week or two to go. Hopefully warmer weather will arrive in time to greet their new babies. Leonard is not impressed by this white nonsense.
Shame, poor Leonard! !

There has been heartache in Chickentown. A bantam d'uccle who had gone broody was only able to hatch a single chick due to the cold, and it sadly passed away. Another chick from Anna's brood promptly adopted the d'uccle, but it also died due to circumstances beyond anyone's control. I found the d'uccle trying to call the chick to food and water, and when it didn't move, she rushed back to try to warm it up. It absolutely broke my heart.

I know that the two fatalities weren't her fault--she was a diligent mother, and demonstrated keen instincts in her efforts to care for her chicks in the cold, but the cold snap was just to hard and too abrupt to cope with. Even older chicks with more feathers and mass to keep them warm fell victim to the cold, so it was no surprise to lose the tiny bantam babies.

In other news, the snow has melted here in Chickentown, but before it vanished completely, I got some shot of the flock venturing back out into the world...

Gryffindor takes his duties as alpha roo seriously, even when the ground is covered in yucky white slush.

Ah, sunlight--how I've missed you!

Yuki, April's splash silkie, ventures far from her usual flock in order to soak up some sunshine.

Some unusual visitors pop by one of the chicken tractors to pick up the crumbs its usual residents didn't want. Waste not, I suppose.

This Easter Egger mix slipped out of the rooster run while I was feeding and watering them, and got to spend a day with the main flock before being closed back up with the rest of the boys that night.

Gentleman Jack tries standing on tip-toe to touch as little of the snow as possible.

This juvenile from my "Jupiter" batch of chicks is less concerned with the snow than his older flockmates.

The compost bins provide a welcome respite.

Gru's little brother Lonesome ventures out into the snow in search of goodies.

Chloe, Gryffindor's grand-daughter and Pipsqueak's daughter, looks around for her bosom pal, Ducky who has vanished somewhere and left her alone...

Meanwhile back at my house, "Project Gru" is hatching in my incubator. I took my ameraucanas, black copper marans, and a handful of other hens and put them in with Gru, my EE/black australorp mix. Since I can't make purebred babies yet, I figured I may as well play with the genetics and see what I get. The first egg has already hatched, and another has pipped. I will take a chick or two over to Chickentown tomorrow and introduce them to the broken-hearted broody. If she is interested, I will let her raise them.

The ladies involved in the Gru Project

Well, I had four babies in the incubator today, but as I was contemplating the best way to take them across town to meet the broody, I had another idea: why not bring the broody to them? Instead of carting the chicks to Chickentown, I went to take care of the flock this morning like I normally do, and on the way back, I brought the lonely d'uccle. I had intended to put her in a crate for the trip, but she was so calm in my arms that I was able to hold her the entire way back to my house.

The moment I put her in with the four babies that had already hatched, she started talking to them and nestling down. When one cries in distress, she immediately focuses her attention on it to figure out what's wrong. She has only been here a few minutes now, but she is already their mama, and with 20 more eggs in the incubator, she is sure to have many more darlings to care for soon. My heart is overjoyed for her!

The new family

Back
Top Bottom