Newbie preparing for chicks - brooder, early days run look ok (pics incld)

bridgettesd

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 1, 2013
Hi,

Thanks so much to BYC for all the info I have gleaned. We are receiving 15 Basque chicks via mail in a couple of weeks and here is our setup. We plan to ferment organic starter feed and add ACV to water. I have a few ?s on other matters.

Still unsure of what bedding to use. We hope to start with towels.....for how long and then what? Deep litter, horse bedding pellets, pine shaving, combo?

Also, how does our salvaged door brooder (in a basement with propane space heater) and early days under trampoline chicken run look? ;-)

How high should the bottom of the nipples be off the floor for the chicks?

When should we open the little door and give free range to the 2nd part of the brooder?

We have a shed/coop and hope to free range when they are older (what age is good to transfer to coop?)

Thanks again,
Bridgette

We are new to the chicken world also, so not much new to add to your questions. BUT, we saw your idea of the chicken run under your trampoline and LOVE the idea (we have a trampoline also). Looks like we will try something similar. Thanks for the idea and good luck to you and your chicks! :)

Hi,

Thanks so much to BYC for all the info I have gleaned. We are receiving 15 Basque chicks via mail in a couple of weeks and here is our setup. We plan to ferment organic starter feed and add ACV to water. I have a few ?s on other matters.

Still unsure of what bedding to use. We hope to start with towels.....for how long and then what? Deep litter, horse bedding pellets, pine shaving, combo?

Also, how does our salvaged door brooder (in a basement with propane space heater) and early days under trampoline chicken run look? ;-)

How high should the bottom of the nipples be off the floor for the chicks?

When should we open the little door and give free range to the 2nd part of the brooder?

We have a shed/coop and hope to free range when they are older (what age is good to transfer to coop?)

Thanks again,
Bridgette

Is that a ladder in the brooder for the chicks? If so, take it out They are too young to perch. Perching at this age can result in crooked keel bones( the long bone in the breast) or they might injure a leg/foot coming down off the perch. Wait until circa 6 weeks for them to perch. If you want somehtig for them to do, use soemthign theyc an eaily hop on and off of. Those 3 teired "stairstep-type" plastic spice racks like we put in our cupboards come to mind. Something which they don't need to leap to use.
Also see the thread "How To Deal With Travel Stress In Baby Chicks" in this "Raising Chciks" forum.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Looks like a pretty good setup.

It looks in the pic that the brooder lamp is very low (it may just be the angle) it should be at least 18 inches above bedding to avoid fire hazards. You can get a thermometer for a few dollars and check the temp before they arrive. Have everything set up and to temp before they get there.

I don't know that I'd only supply a nipple waterer for day olds. It will need to be low but I think I'd provide a regular chick waterer, just in case. It would be much easier to teach them where water is in a traditional waterer and then let them discover the nipple system.

As they grow you'll realize when they need more room, a few weeks at least. You don't want them to have too much room when young as they could wander to far from the heat source. Put your feeder and waterer at the edge of the heat source so that it isn't too hot or too cold.

I'd use shavings with some pine pellets mixed in. I've had good luck with it. If you use towels only the first few days would be needed. I've brooded just using shavings without problems.

They should be fully feathered before being put outside without heat. 6-8 weeks or so but it depends on your environment.

The trampoline looks good but it looks like you just have the plastic chicken wire and that won't keep out any predators. Better safe than sorry.

Definitely need other arrangements for the heat lamp. If you can't clamp it up on the edge of the brooder you'll need to find a way to hang it much higher. I also agree with jdywntr, I would not depend on a nipple waterer only. At least not until you know for sure that they've all learned to use it.

Thanks everyone. I should clarify that this is ceramic heat emitter bulb lamp. It only topped out at 77 deg with it 1' above the 3" height but I will check again. That's w/o heating the basement also. I wil def. put in our mason jar waterers as well and close the little door leading to the other area. Re. the trampoline, we plan to be outside with them so don't have to worry about the predation factor. Also, amy estimates on how much fermented feed 15 chicks consume per day?

Thanks again, Bridgette

Yeah I was wondering after I posted if the lamp was something other then a regular heat lamp. Although if it's only getting up to 77 your chicks are going to get chilled. The first week they need an area where they can warm up to between 90 and 95, temps decrease about 5 degrees a week after that.

I've never fed fermented feed so can't you there!
smile.png

Karen,

Thanks but can you offer any insight on how to administer the nutri drench to the chicks upon arrival. I have only held chicks once in my life so any tips would be really helpful.

Bridgette

Karen,

Thanks but can you offer any insight on how to administer the nutri drench to the chicks upon arrival. I have only held chicks once in my life so any tips would be really helpful.

Bridgette
If you have no experience in this, not a problem. Just put 4cc Poultry Nutri-Drench per gallon in their water instead of 2cc. If they don't like the taste of 4cc water, just back it down to 2cc and you will have good result there too.
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom