Newbie questions:ducklings arriving next week, still shopping for feed

RTFarms

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 16, 2011
Our Welsh Harlequin babies will be arriving next week from Metzers, and we are very excited but still completely unprepared, lol. Have a waterer and feeder, but still got to build the brooder and such. I went by one of the local coops today and crawled around looking at all the various poultry feed available. None was specifically "duck" feed, though one mentioned ducks. Listed below are some of the basic nutrition facts I found. Sorry, I wrote it all quickly in my phone, so it may not all be too logical. Are any of these safe (and preferable) for the ducklings, and how about as adults?

Home Grown Starter/Grower
Amprolium .0175
Protein 20%
Fat 2.5%
Calcium 1.25%

Farm Yard Feed
Protein 8%
Fat 3%
*Apparently no medication

Home Grown Game Bird and Poultry
Bacitracin Methylene Disalicylate 200g/ton
Protein 30%
Fat 3%
Calcium 1.4%max

Home Grown Layer
Protein 16%
Fat 2.5%
Calcium 4%max

Ware Milling
Protein 24%
Fat 2.25%min
Fiber 4%

If none of these are safe, then I have one more coop to try locally, and two of these feeds are from mills in towns in the area, so I may can contact them directly. Thanks.

R/T (Thomas)

In our local feed store we have a gamebird starter that says its for ducks turkeys etc. Just checked mine it does not have bactracin in it. That is a antibotic and I dont think I would feed it to them. If I m wrong someone please correct me.

55125_dsc03064.jpg

I was told do this..

Amprolium .0175
Protein 20%
Fat 2.5%
Calcium 1.25%
This if fine for the first 2 weeks. Amprolium is an antibiotic, but it is safe for ducks.

Farm Yard Feed
Protein 8%
Fat 3%
to low in protein

Home Grown Game Bird and Poultry
Protein 30%
Fat 3%
Calcium 1.4%max
Antibiotics you don't want the ducks to eat. To much protein anyway.

Home Grown Layer
Protein 16%
Fat 2.5%
Calcium 4%max
Layer mix, to much calcium for ducklings. Ok for adult egg laying hens. protein content is good.

Ware Milling
Protein 24%
Fat 2.25%min
Fiber 4%
to much protein and antibiotics you don't want.

Do they have a grower/developer mix with 16%? That is what you want. Another items you want is vitamin/mineral/electrolyte mix for their drinking water. This is really important in their early development.

ABC's thanks for the analysis. I went to the other coop today and surveyed their numerous offerings. Here's their list:

Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles
Protein 20%
Fat 3.5%
Calcium .8-1.3%

Purina Mills Start and Grow Sunfresh
Protein 18%
Fat 3%
Calcium .75-1.25%

Purina Layena Sunfresh Crumbles
Protein 16%
Fat 2.5%
Calcium 3.25-4.25%

Purina Game Bird Chow
Protein 20%
Fat 2.5%
Calcium 2.5-3.5%

Ware Milling Poultry Feed Layer Pellets
Protein 16%
Fat 3%
Calcium 2.6-3.2%

I've not found a vitamin pack for them yet, gotta probably call and double check both coops. Any common brands/packages I may could ask for? The front sales folks aren't often all that helpful, thus why I went and dug through the warehouse myself for feed options. Thanks.

The vitamin pack I use I got off of Metzer's, it's called Poult Pak. I has niacin, and many other vitamins.
I feed Purina Flock raiser until 18 weeks, when I switch to Purina Layena. Layena is for laying birds, and should only be given once they start to lay their eggs.

The Duck ABC's :

Amprolium .0175
Protein 20%
Fat 2.5%
Calcium 1.25%
This if fine for the first 2 weeks. Amprolium is an antibiotic, but it is safe for ducks.

Amprolium is not an antibiotic...it is a coccidiosis preventative. It allows the chicks and ducklings' guts to build up an immunity or tolerance to the cocci found in the soil.​

Last edited:
Quote:
I hope not. Mine are 5 1/2 weeks, and they have no problem with Purina Flock raiser which is 20% protein. I wouldn't worry about it. (Oh, and I was worried with such high amounts of protein they would get angel wing, but their wings are coming in so perfect!
love.gif
)

Back
Top Bottom