Newbie to egg hatching. Any tips?

DovesFlock

Songster
Aug 31, 2023
I’ve made two homage incubators (one is for lockdown one is for the first 16 days. Because I don’t want too much humidity)

I started with 25 eggs in total. I had to discard about 7 yesterday due to being past due date (and DIS)
I have one that’s supposed to hatch today but hasn’t made a sound

And I have more still incubating.

I’d love some tips!
I’m new to canceling but pretty much got it down. I’d love to know how you see movement when chicks get around 17-18 days (when almost all you can see is the air cell)

What to do about air cell detachment (I had one. I put it point end down to help. Idk if it does)

Just anything to help me get at least one baby to hatch out of this batch and also help understand what candleing a dead egg looks like. I have trouble telling.

Thank you!! Any little bit helps!

(Pic of my lockdown eggs. The rag is to increase humidity in there)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 22
The homemade incubators are styrofoam cooler with a few ventilation holes, a 15 watt light, a VERY shallow amount of water at the bottom (for humidity and keep them a good temp. It’s less than a quart of an inch) and a wet rag or paper towel when needing to increase humidity. I keep the eggs in lockdown around 65-75 humidity and no more than 101 but usually sitting at a constant100.
The younger eggs stay at 100 and about 55 humidity.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom