Newly hatched DUCKLING...

seberger22

Chirping
May 25, 2017
I incubated 8 duck eggs in my classroom, and so far only 1 has hatched (day 28 is tomorrow though). It hatched last night. I have only ever done chicks before, so I am not positive what is normal for ducklings, but it is not moving around as much as my newly hatched chicks usually do, and it seems to shiver a bit at times, especially its head. Also, its breathing seems like it is labored at times.
Do you think it is too hot? The incubator is still at 99 degrees.
Also, I am not sure I have the right feed for it. This is what I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4KD9MY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But now I realize that that maybe be for older ducklings. I do have some chick starter feed that has always worked well for my chicks, but it is medicated, so I read that I'm not supposed to feed it to ducklings.
Do you think it would be ok with the medicated chick starter for a day or so until I can get a duck starter? Or would it be ok with the duck grower feed?
Also, for chicks I usually just lay the crumbles on the floor of the brooder. Will that work for ducklings too?

I plan to move it to the brooder first thing when I get to school tomorrow, so any help is very much appreciated!

16% protein is a little low to start them off on, but that would work fine for when they're a bit older. For now, you do want something that's higher protein to start them on.

That chick feed is fine. The whole thing about medicated feed being bad for ducklings is a myth. If it's medicated with amprolium, which is probably is, then it's totally fine for ducklings. The only trouble is it probably won't have enough niacin for them, so you'd want to pick up some niacin that you could add to supplement the amount that's in the feed.

More info about medicated feed being bad for ducklings being a myth here, if you want to read up on it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...dicated-feed-the-myths-and-the-truth.1247838/

16% protein is a little low to start them off on, but that would work fine for when they're a bit older. For now, you do want something that's higher protein to start them on.

That chick feed is fine. The whole thing about medicated feed being bad for ducklings is a myth. If it's medicated with amprolium, which is probably is, then it's totally fine for ducklings. The only trouble is it probably won't have enough niacin for them, so you'd want to pick up some niacin that you could add to supplement the amount that's in the feed.

More info about medicated feed being bad for ducklings being a myth here, if you want to read up on it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...dicated-feed-the-myths-and-the-truth.1247838/
Okay, thanks!
Where can I find niacin? Will it be ok on the chick feed without the niacin for a day or two while I try to find the niacin?
Thanks

Okay, thanks!
Where can I find niacin? Will it be ok on the chick feed without the niacin for a day or two while I try to find the niacin?
Thanks

Yes, a day or two without niacin won't hurt :)

You could buy it in the vitamins section of a store like Walmart, just make sure it doesn't say flush free or time release on the box. Or you could buy Brewer's yeast or Nutritional yeast and add it that way.

Or you could go to a feed store and pick up what's called Vitamin B Complex and add that to the water. Lots of options :)

Yes, a day or two without niacin won't hurt :)

You could buy it in the vitamins section of a store like Walmart, just make sure it doesn't say flush free or time release on the box. Or you could buy Brewer's yeast or Nutritional yeast and add it that way.

Or you could go to a feed store and pick up what's called Vitamin B Complex and add that to the water. Lots of options :)
Okay, great, thanks!
Would Nutritional yeast that is used in cooking work? I actually have some from Trader Joe's that I use. How much should I add?

Okay, great, thanks!
Would Nutritional yeast that is used in cooking work? I actually have some from Trader Joe's that I use. How much should I add?

Yes, that will work! I'd add a tablespoon to the top of the food each day.

Yes, that will work! I'd add a tablespoon to the top of the food each day.
Ok, thanks!
This morning I moved it to the brooder, and it is drinking and eating. Its first poop in the brooder was bright green and watery. Should I be concerned? It seems very scared :(
It is the only one so far, and I don't see any action from the other eggs

Back
Top Bottom