Niederrheiner Thread! All Colors!

Pics
Correct! That's a cockerel. A few weeks in, you can start to see the differences more clearly - cockerels show barring (particularly black on the wings), pullets should turn a buff color all over.

Welcome @cricket2001 ,

Yes this is the place for all things Niederrheiners and we get some great contributors so if you have any other questions / comments please don't hesitate to come here!

Cheers!

Very first Niederrheiner egg!
1f60e.png

Last edited:
The one that is laying was born August 4th 2015. So she started laying at 29 weeks old. The other two in the pic were born Sept 30th so I have a bit left to go before they start laying. I'm hoping the other two start laying by mid April, fingers crossed it will be sooner.

Our pair of year-old hens are reliably laying as well. As long as I get the eggs before they get too cold, they have been viable. Having your own hens laying eggs...and then hatching them out...is awesome!

That's a good lookin' pullet. No black ticking on her hackles. Cockerel is good, too, with a nice comb. I'm having a hard time growing one out with a really good one.

But...my two one-year-old hens are laying so I am setting and hatching everything they give me this year. I'll build this flock through persistence if I have to!

Back
Top Bottom