night crawlers

its official ,, im using my boat (once a project for my son and i) as a nightcrawler box ! im guessing nightcrawlers wont be the only things i end up with ...... maybe some delicious bugs for them to eat too !!! oh the project was haulted when my son said ..." i dont wanna fix up a boat , lets fix up your truck " anyways , im expecting to get started come spring , waiting for things to thaw out a little ......im gonna dig a hole in my woods , and fill the boat , then buy a couple dozen nightcrawlers for the boat and a dozen for my birds !! sorry i went on so long , i guess im a little excited !!! lol

My chickens lovedand fought over nightcrawls and all othe smaller yard worms this summer.
Then one day suddenly, they wouldn't even touch one.
I never saw anything bad happen to them.
But it was like turning off a light switch. One day fighting and tug of wars and next day they won't even peck at them any more.
Chickens are weird.

our chickens love worms! We were digging a ditch for the coop electrical last fall and every shovelfull of dirt would have a chicken on it. Now all they have to do is see the shovel and they flock to it. They sure made ditch diggin slow.

I way late to this but Im a 27 yr old mom who talked her friend in to night crawer hunting after a spring rain. He asked me why are you doing this for your chickens? .... I paused a second and was like "ah yeah that's a good idea!!" I was just doing it because I hadn't since I was a kid. I really wanted to make sure it was okay.. good post good post.

My husband made a worm catcher by electrifying a metal rod and sticking it into the damp ground. Within seconds, giant worms came crawling up out of the earth. It was amazing, and my 7 year old especially had fun with it. She's a worm lover like I was at her age. OK, I still am. :)

My chickens lovedand fought over nightcrawls and all othe smaller yard worms this summer.
Then one day suddenly, they wouldn't even touch one.
I never saw anything bad happen to them.
But it was like turning off a light switch. One day fighting and tug of wars and next day they won't even peck at them any more.
Chickens are weird.
Smart chickens, probably recognized something was wrong with them.

I'm raising red worms and jumbo red worms in a 30 gallon tote.
I started with 200 worms just a month ago.
I'm guessing maybe 3 months before a start a second one.
I'm going to start harvesting maybe March of next year.
I may start a mealworm farm as well.

Back
Top Bottom