No Crow Collar, opinions?

Impatient

Songster
Aug 29, 2017
GA
Some of you have seen my other posts regarding my miracle chick and current batch of eggs incubating, but since I'm the the type to plan A-Z I'm trying to make plans for roosters. Now...live in the city, but local law allows for backyard chickens (no roosters) with the amount allowed depending on property size, which for me the most I can have is 4 (also supposed to be 50' from your neighbors, but I talked to mine and they're fine with it, it's not enforced if there aren't complaints). Anyhow, I'm very attached to my miracle chick and if it ends up being a rooster, I still want to keep it if I can reduce its crow since that's the only reason roosters aren't allowed. Previous plan was raise all roosters for slaughter, which will still happen to any others I get, and again, I don't know what this chick is yet, but I want to have a plan.

So has anyone had luck with the no crow collar or similar devices? Has anyone had a rooster that had the crowing surgery? I'm just trying to weigh my options if I do try to keep a rooster since I don't want to upset my neighbors.

The no crow collars work by strangulation. Imagine being choked every time you tried to talk.

I doubt you could find a vet to such a surgery on a rooster, and I would guess it would be pretty pricey if you did.

Kindest thing would be to find it a good home if it turned out to be a rooster. Might take a while, but it would be the kindest option.

The no crow collars work by strangulation. Imagine being choked every time you tried to talk.

I doubt you could find a vet to such a surgery on a rooster, and I would guess it would be pretty pricey if you did.

Kindest thing would be to find it a good home if it turned out to be a rooster. Might take a while, but it would be the kindest option.
If that was an option, anyone one/farm I've talked to was pretty clear about keeping a closed flock and that he'd be slaughtered, which is completely understandable. It's also my chick, my responsibility to deal with of its a rooster. However as far as I understand the collar doesn't impeded breathing, eating or drinking, it just stops them from being able to fully expand their vocal cords so it cuts the sound down. The surgery is pretty simple, the vet goes in and cuts the vocal chords, similar to the surgery on dogs, cost about $500. These are pet chickens for eggs, I spend what I have to on my pets and if it was the only option, I think it would be worth it considering the alternatives.

Last edited:
I have read posts of roosters being strangled by the collar.
I'm not arguing that people have used them incorrectly and hurt their birds, but when used correctly it does not cut their ability to breathe according to the reviews I've been reading and the videos on their proper use.

If your neighbors are fine with it, just don't worry about the crowing. Otherwise I would try the collar before the surgery, because you can save the collar for your next rooster should this one turn out to be a hen.

I'm not arguing that people have used them incorrectly and hurt their birds, but when used correctly it does not cut their ability to breathe according to the reviews I've been reading and the videos on their proper use.
If you use a collar, would you let me know how it goes? I'm following this thread. I have a hen who crows (definitely a hen because she's our best layer). Our immediate neighbours are fine with the noise but I always worry someone a bit further up the road might complain (even though several neighbours also keep chickens and even ducks). You can never tell sometimes what might make someone snap.

It might work to quiet the crowing enough.....
.......or it might get your existing chicken laws shut right down,
and no one will be able to keep any chickens.

I think the collars are cruel and flouting the rules could harm other community members option to keep eggmakers.
You asked for opinions, and that's mine. ;)

It might work to quiet the crowing enough.....
.......or it might get your existing chicken laws shut right down,
and no one will be able to keep any chickens.

I think the collars are cruel and flouting the rules could harm other community members option to keep eggmakers.
You asked for opinions, and that's mine. ;)

That is an often overlooked point in the " help me hide my rooster" conversations.

Back
Top Bottom