No Crow Rooster collar

This is what I did I put on loose but not too loose maybe my two finger s the first day.. Let him sleep with it like that for two nights then close it up q wee bit everyday. If its too loose he just frigs around like you described.I also bury it under his hackles. Its been over a week and he don't even care now. It has dropped his bellow to about 45%-55% its not gone just the volume is unturned down. He actually gives up after a while.hope that helps! :)

My rooster adjusted to the collar by the end of the day I put it on him. However, I made it so I could fit 2 fingers between it and his neck, which meant I was running outside at 6:25 in the morning to pick him up and tighten it. I tightened it so I could put my whole pointer finger in the collar. I observed him for an hour before leaving. The next morning I decided to sit outside the coop at 6:00 with a mug of coffee, which was a good thing because he crowed at 6:24. Today I tightened it so only the tip of my pointer finger could fit into the collar. I watched him for an hour again. After 20 minutes of preening and fixing his feathers the collar messed up, he started eating, drinking and digging around the run. I'll report tomorrow morning on whether or not I tightened the collar enough. I'm hoping it is tight enough to mute his crow. I know the instructions say you should only fit the tip of your pinky in, but I have skinny fingers and I don't want to hurt him. My backyard shares fences with 5 other people, and I unwisely built the coop near the fence with the lady who gave us trouble to raise the fence to 6ft (a requirement in my city in order to keep chickens).

Last edited:
So did the lady (I think it was a woman) who developed this collar, and has/had a Facebook about it, decide to market them through My Pet Chicken? If so, brilliant move on her part.

I am also intrigued by the poster who said kids socks (I assume the elastic portion) worked well. That would be cheaper, I think, and is the same general idea--keep them from a full-blast inflated throat crow.

I like to hear crowing, but I worry about my neighbors. I don't know if it's even legal for me to have chickens were am I, though I know others do nearby (and I hear a roo crowing whenever I'm outside--it's a nice sound from a distance!).

I'm going to give this a try when the time comes. I'm planning to try to keep 4-5 roos for breeding after just having hens the last two years. I have two bachelor pads that DH built, but right now all are too young, no one crowing--yet. If I can keep them quiet, my neighbors can keep minding their business.

thank you, I'll keep trying. I'm on day 4 and he is still crowing. he is young-only 3 months old-so it's not horrible-I'm trying to master this before that happens. I feel I cannot put it any tighter but will try again today. not giving up. thanks for the encouragement.

Anyone have success with home-made versions and care to share the blueprints?

At almost 20 bucks a pop, I couldn't even afford 1, and I have over 15 roos to turn the volume down on. :lau

Day 3 and he still managed to crow. I think it loosened from the pullets pecking at the yellow tag, so I cut that off and I'm planning to tighten the collar at night instead of the morning. My biggest concern is that he is only 10 weeks old, so as he grows I'm going to need to loosen the collar (and if I loosen it too much it can cause issues) He still has a juevenile crowing sound, but it is loud. Thankfully, he has only been crowing between 6:00-7:00 a.m. I understand where you are coming from TBarry, I really don't like the idea and think it is possible to pull the collar tighter. Hopefully tomorrow will bring better luck.

I ordered from Nocrowroostercollars.com, they only sent me 2 out of the 3 I ordered. They still have not responded to multiple e-mails after almost 2 weeks. Not extremely happy with that.

I am, however, very happy with the collars I received from them. They virtually eliminate the volume of the crow on both roosters that received them.

For my third roo, I grew tired of waiting and made a collar out of velcro that works just as well. I had some of this laying around: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006IC2T/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I cut both components (the hook strip and the loop strip) in half width-wise, to roughly one inch in width. The backsides are coated in extremely sticky glue, so once I stuck the hook strip and loop strip back to back it formed a very tight bond. So I now had an 8 inch long (I cut to that length), one inch wide strip with the hook side and loop side. Once wrapped around, it would stick to itself. I put this on my roo's neck and it worked just as well as the purchased collars. It was a little harder to adjust, but did the trick perfectly and cost me less than $2.
I know that explanation is somewhat hard to follow, but if you have the velcro in front of you its not too hard to figure out. Hope this helps somebody.

I ordered from Nocrowroostercollars.com, they only sent me 2 out of the 3 I ordered. They still have not responded to multiple e-mails after almost 2 weeks. Not extremely happy with that.

I am, however, very happy with the collars I received from them. They virtually eliminate the volume of the crow on both roosters that received them.

For my third roo, I grew tired of waiting and made a collar out of velcro that works just as well. I had some of this laying around: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006IC2T/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I cut both components (the hook strip and the loop strip) in half width-wise, to roughly one inch in width. The backsides are coated in extremely sticky glue, so once I stuck the hook strip and loop strip back to back it formed a very tight bond. So I now had an 8 inch long (I cut to that length), one inch wide strip with the hook side and loop side. Once wrapped around, it would stick to itself. I put this on my roo's neck and it worked just as well as the purchased collars. It was a little harder to adjust, but did the trick perfectly and cost me less than $2.
I know that explanation is somewhat hard to follow, but if you have the velcro in front of you its not too hard to figure out. Hope this helps somebody.

Thank you, FredB! I'm going to give that a shot!
I'm on a huge farm in the middle of nowhere and the only neighbors I have are farm-folk family who don't mind the constant crowing, thankfully, (and I personally LOVE the sound..during the day) but I wanted to give these a shot solely because I don't appreciate being woken by nature's alarm clock every night at 4am. lol.

Once fitted properly the No Crow Collar works as advertised.
There was a bit of stress for both me and my poor rooster, with many attempts at adjusting the collars fit, but now he has adjusted to the collar quite well.
The volume and quantity of crowing has been reduced, which is the whole point, so hooray for that! However, this is not an idiot proof process and it's quite an adjustment for a rooster to adapt to.
Here's hoping the neighbors calm the **** down now! One neighbor is over sensitive to sound and another works late so needs to sleep in. I still lock the rooster in the garage at night so that there is no possibility of his disturbing the neighbors while a local sound ordinance is in effect. The collar does not keep him from crowing.
I had been less than happy about my initial experience and contacted MyPetChicken.com (the people I bought the collar from) with a list of grievances, feature requests, & possible solutions. They responded well and they've even edited the instructions to include a bit more detail in fitting the collar, which was one of my requests.
I'm really hoping they eventually post more detailed videos for fitting the collars on various breeds to help others get the best outcome with these things.

I'm trying it on a Silkie rooster. The collar I have is actually too big for him. He doesn't have enough neck to tighten it properly on. I'd bought it to have on hand when a Cream Legbar roo I have starts crowing and then my Silkie hen turned into a roo last week. I need to order another one or make one out of velcro. He is still crowing but I think the volume is less. How low or high on the neck are these supposed to be?

Back
Top Bottom