No Crow Rooster collar

Pics
Personally I think its bullshite that someone dog can bark all day and night and zero tolerance for a little crowing. Its perfectly natural to hear roosters. In many parts of Europe like Italy and Malta... But here its breaking the law to own a rooster. For us to know the fulljoy of owning a flock is to observe a mature rooster in his prime running a yard. Keeping everyone together, safe, fed and well there is no other way to put it... Sexed ... Its a big job and burden to carry to be called Rooster... Despite how grumpy pants they might seem at times they will forfeit their own life to keep their hens safe. We seen it first hand our boy Johnson created a diversion from the bear who came on our property to allow our 4 hens to escape the destroyed chicken tractor coop to safety ... Mr Bear Buzz Kill chomped down on Johnson. And took him away and never saw him again. Just have a single feather that was left behind in the bear massive footprint in the driveway. Yes to know the joy of owning a flock is to know the rooster.

Please be careful with these. A friend of mine is currently beating herself up pretty hard because her roo died with one of these on. This lady loved her roo very much, and just wanted to be sure she didn't have to get rid of him for the crowing. She put the collar on and he was still able to crow, so she went out and tightened it just slightly. It was too much. When she went out to check on him a short time later, he was dead and she feels horrible. She's just sick. And while we were discussing what happened to her, another person chimed in and said that she put one on her roo and within a short time he was laying on his side, gasping. She ripped that thing off and got rid of it. These are not careless women - they are conscientious chicken owners with lots of experience and didn't tighten these things carelessly - just very slight, minute adjustments. It doesn't take much to go too far with them.

I ordered from Nocrowroostercollars.com, they only sent me 2 out of the 3 I ordered. They still have not responded to multiple e-mails after almost 2 weeks. Not extremely happy with that.

I am, however, very happy with the collars I received from them. They virtually eliminate the volume of the crow on both roosters that received them.

For my third roo, I grew tired of waiting and made a collar out of velcro that works just as well. I had some of this laying around: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006IC2T/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I cut both components (the hook strip and the loop strip) in half width-wise, to roughly one inch in width. The backsides are coated in extremely sticky glue, so once I stuck the hook strip and loop strip back to back it formed a very tight bond. So I now had an 8 inch long (I cut to that length), one inch wide strip with the hook side and loop side. Once wrapped around, it would stick to itself. I put this on my roo's neck and it worked just as well as the purchased collars. It was a little harder to adjust, but did the trick perfectly and cost me less than $2.
I know that explanation is somewhat hard to follow, but if you have the velcro in front of you its not too hard to figure out. Hope this helps somebody.

Just want to share my personal experience. I got the No Crow collar, we have a decent size Easter Egger roo,and he could still crow pretty loud with it, I tried adjusting, we got two sizes to make sure, etc... Neighbors complained, we can't have roos to begin with. I was about to list him on craigslist but decided to try the baby sock trick, I cut an OldNavy 12-24m sock, folded it 3 times and wrestled RockyDoodle, got the thing around his neck, he crowed and it was very muffled, but still crowing louder than "hen noise level".
I decided to cut the other sock, and this one I rolled like a ring, and pushed it down, right below the folded sock. He tried to crow : SILENCE. Not a sound. I made sure it wasn't on too tight, that he could still eat and drink normally, and do his rooster thing with the hens. He can still make normal chicken sounds, but absolutely NO crowing. A week now and it's going great, the other morning the "collars" had shifted a bit so he let out one or two crows, pretty low ones, and we readjusted them to the "silent" position.
It's working great so far. He stands tall and "crows" but no sound comes out, and he's still a satisfied and happy, sweet little Cockster.

There is a link on how to fit the collar: http://www.mypetchicken.com/downloads/no-crow-rooster-collar-instructions.pdf

You may well need a collar that is less long for your Silkie (sorry about its sex change!). Here is a link to the Velcro. It's 2" wide, but you cut it to 1" width. The person's whose post I read was using 8" length for a standard LF. You might want to try less length. Here's the link for the product on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Brand-...UTF8&qid=1408551247&sr=8-3&keywords=2"+velcro

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
@SageB I am so sorry for your loss. As long as you could get the end of your pinky finger (or more if you have slender fingers) between the collar and his neck, he should have been fine. I don't know how long you have had chickens, but it is sadly common to find a chicken that is fine one day dead in the coop or run the next. I am a veterinarian, so sometimes I perform a necropsy (like an autopsy, just a different word in vet med) to see what happened. Other times, I can tell by examining the outside of the bird (one was eggbound, for example, and I had not noticed any signs the previous day). I'm sure you'll never use a rooster collar again, and your story is a cautionary tale. Please try not to beat yourself up too hard.
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom